Challenge Problem that seems too Easy

• Thread starter brtdud7
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Challenge
In summary: But I guess this is a good question to ask: is there a function or equation that tells me the LCM of a set of integers?In summary, this problem uses math lower than Calculus and I'm worried that the way I want to solve it seems too simple.
brtdud7
This is a challenge problem I received in my calculus class that I believe uses math lower than Calculus. My worry is that the way I want to solve it seems too simple.

Homework Statement

A long hallway contains lockers numbered 1 through 1000. At the start of the day, all of the lockers are closed. Someone comes by and opens every other locker, starting with locker #2. Then someone else comes by and changes the "state" (ie, closes open lockers and opens closed lockers) of every third locker, starting with locker #3. Then someone comes by and changes the state of every fourth locker starting with #4, and so on, until no more lockers can be changed in this way. How many lockers are closed at the end of this process?

The Attempt at a Solution

I was just going to make a table, first with #2 to #1000 (by 2s) all open, then make one with all the multiples of 3 with each locker's state, then make one with all the multiples of 4 and the resulting state. It just seems too algorithmic for a calculus class, so I was curious if this brute force method is correct, or if anyone is aware of any formulas or theorems that could be used instead to make this problem less time-consuming?

Physics news on Phys.org
Think logically. Start with the range from 1 to 10.. Then to hundred...

You're right that this has nothing to do with calculus. Here are some questions to ask yourself.

Given a number N, how many times is the state of the Nth locker changed? (Hint: the answer has to do with the factors of N).

Under what conditions is the number of state changes of the Nth locker an even number?

Oh alright, I figured that it had something to do with the LCM of the lockers, like the LCM of 2 and 3 is 6, so every 6th locker's state would change. I was going to start with that and then see where I go from there.

Related to Challenge Problem that seems too Easy

1. Why is this challenge problem considered "too easy"?

This challenge problem may be considered "too easy" because it appears to have a simple solution or may seem obvious to those with a strong background in the subject matter.

2. How can I approach this problem if it seems too easy?

Even if a problem seems easy, it's important to approach it with a thorough and logical mindset. Take the time to analyze the problem and consider different perspectives or approaches to ensure a comprehensive solution.

3. What are the potential pitfalls of assuming a challenge problem is too easy?

Assuming a problem is too easy may lead to overlooking important details or making careless mistakes. It's important to not underestimate a problem and to always approach it with diligence and attention to detail.

4. Can a challenge problem that seems too easy still have value?

Yes, even if a problem appears easy, it can still have value. It may serve as a good practice exercise or provide an opportunity to review and solidify fundamental concepts. Additionally, it can also serve as a confidence booster and help build problem-solving skills.

5. How can I challenge myself with a problem that seems too easy?

If a problem seems too easy, try to think outside the box and come up with alternative solutions or approaches. You can also try to apply the problem to real-world scenarios or explore more complex versions of the problem to push yourself further.