Anyone writing the physics sat II?

In summary, The conversation is about the Physics SAT II and whether anyone is taking it or has taken it before. The person asking is curious about the structure and grading of the exam and is looking for advice. They mention taking the exam for college admissions and mention questions on famous experiments being unexpected. They suggest researching these experiments before taking the exam.
Mark
Hey, just wondering if anyone is doing the physics sat II. I saw the ap thread below, and it got me wondering if there's many other high school students here. So, yes, just out of curiosity, anyone doing sat's / sat II's?

Physics news on Phys.org
I took it last year for college admissions--- would you like to know what the structure, grading etc is?

any advice would be appreciated - I am writing it in 2 weeks, and a bit nervous...lol

I took it a few years back when I was trying to transfer into MIT (didn't get in...).

One thing which I wasn't expecting was a few questions on famous experiments.

Read up on what they were trying to prove... things like the Photoelectric effect, the oil drop experiment (the one which got me), etc.

1. What topics are covered on the Physics SAT II?

The Physics SAT II covers a wide range of topics, including mechanics, electricity and magnetism, waves and optics, thermodynamics, and modern physics. It is important to review all of these topics thoroughly in order to do well on the exam.

2. How many questions are on the Physics SAT II?

The Physics SAT II consists of 75 multiple-choice questions. These questions are divided into sections based on the different topics covered on the exam.

3. Do I need to have taken a physics class in order to take the Physics SAT II?

No, you do not need to have taken a physics class in order to take the Physics SAT II. However, it is highly recommended that you have a strong understanding of basic physics principles and equations before taking the exam.

4. How much time do I have to complete the Physics SAT II?

You will have 60 minutes to complete the Physics SAT II. This time includes both the multiple-choice section and the free-response section.

5. Is a calculator allowed on the Physics SAT II?

Yes, a calculator is allowed on the Physics SAT II. However, it is important to note that not all calculators are allowed. Make sure to check the College Board's list of approved calculators before bringing one to the exam.