Chain with distance-dependent mass problem

• Thread starter masohman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chain Mass
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a particle with mass m attached to a long chain with linear density μ, thrown upwards with an initial velocity V. The question asks for the maximum height the particle will reach, but the conversation also touches on the philosophical essence of the problem. Relevant equations and a sketch of the forces applied to the particle and chain are provided. The topic of considering the mass of the particle and chain in different scenarios is also discussed.
masohman
1. A particle of mass m is tied on one end of a very long chain which has a linear density μ (kg/m) and lies on a surface with the chain wound next to it. The particle is thrown upwards with an initial velocity V. Find the maximum height the particle is going to reach. My question is not what the exercise asks, it has more of a philosophical essence to it. You can read it in part 3.

2. Relevant equations:
We just take Newton's Second Law, F = dp/dt, so we have
-(m+μx)g = d[(m+μx)υ]/dt
and we solve the problem.

3. Studying the particle's motion, my teacher said that while the particle is going upwards (υ>0), we consider m+μx as its mass. BUT when it is going downwards, that is when it starts falling, (υ<0) we consider m as its mass. I find this reasonable by instict (I mean when I visualize the phenomenon in my head) because the chain is supported by the surface/ground when the particle falls. Even my teacher told me that it is because of a normal force N applied to the chain by the ground thus neutralizing the weight of the chain. But my question is isn't the normal force N applied to the chain by the surface in the upwards motion, too? I don't see the differences in the forces that can convince me to say the downwards motion is different than the upwards one. I'd like someone to draw all the forces appearing in this problem in a sketch, so I can understand the phenomenon.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT:
Here's a sketch. The circle is the particle and the line which ends up in a spiral is the chain.
nV6aB.png

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone?

Please, I just need a sketch of the forces applied to the particle and the chain. :'(

Related to Chain with distance-dependent mass problem

1. What is the "chain with distance-dependent mass problem"?

The chain with distance-dependent mass problem is a mathematical model used in physics to describe a chain of particles with varying masses connected by springs. The mass of each particle is dependent on its distance from the fixed end of the chain.

2. What is the significance of the distance-dependent mass in this problem?

The variation in mass along the chain affects the dynamics of the system and can lead to interesting and complex behaviors. It allows for the study of how mass distribution affects the overall motion and stability of a system.

3. What are some real-world applications of the chain with distance-dependent mass problem?

This model can be applied to the study of molecular chains, such as DNA, as well as the behavior of long chains in materials science and engineering. It can also be used to understand the dynamics of coupled oscillators in physics and mechanical systems.

4. How is the chain with distance-dependent mass problem solved?

The solution involves finding the equations of motion for each particle in the chain, taking into account the varying masses and the forces acting on each particle. This can be solved using mathematical techniques such as Lagrangian mechanics or numerical methods.

5. What are some challenges in solving the chain with distance-dependent mass problem?

One challenge is accurately modeling the varying mass distribution along the chain, as it may not always follow a simple pattern. Another challenge is dealing with the complex nonlinear equations that arise in the solution process. Additionally, the behavior of the system may be difficult to predict due to the intricate interactions between the masses and springs.