How can I fix a multiple bootscreen problem in Windows XP?

• Thread starter Pauly Man
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Multiple
In summary, you can replace the boot-executable ntoskrnl.exe in the System32 folder with another boot-executable, but this will only work if the filenames are shortened.
Pauly Man
Hi Guys,

I decided I wanted to have the option of choosing between a few bootscreens upon startup of win xp. I downloaded some bootscreens, and renamed them, then put them into c:\windows\system32 as I was told to. I then went and backed up my boot.ini file, just in case. Then altered it, as told to. Where by I create a startup menu in the [operating system] section of the ini file, this is what I have:

Code:
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS = "Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS = "Microsoft Windows XP Professional: Crap Edition" /fastdetect /kernel=ntoscrap.exe
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS = "Microsoft Windows XP Professional: Jupiter Edition" /fastdetect /kernel=ntosjupiter.exe
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS = "Microsoft Windows XP Professional: Galaxy Edition" /fastdetect /kernel=ntosgalaxy.exe

The menu turns up as I wanted it. The problem is that whatever choice I make, the original bootscreen ALWAYS appears. Now i have looked all over the net, and everywhere says to do it the way I have, why the hell is it not working?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Ok, I misread your post and thought you were having trouble switching between OS's, and not just the boot screen.

All I know about this subject is the way I alter my own boot screen in XP; by single replacement only. Windows File Protection will defeat attempts to replace the ntoskrnl.exe in the System32 folder unless you perform the swap in Safe Mode.

Here is a link to a utility and instruction on one method, just in case it might be of use. I tried something similar once but found that it interfered with the ability of DriveImage to perform properly.

http://www.extrememhz.com/winxpcust-p2.shtml

PS, I’d enjoy a link to the site where you were receiving instruction.

Actually most of the info is explained the best at the website for a book I have. Visit the website at:

http//www.oreilly.com/catalog/winxphks

Well, I can't get this method to work for me either. Below is a site that details the procedure, which is quite straitforward and simple but just doesn't seem to work. I even disabled Windows File Protection While trying to make this work, all to no avail. It is certainly an easy matter to replace ntoskrnl.exe with another boot-executable of the same name, but I don't think the method being described works. Maybe it's the Pre SP1 and post SP1 business that is preventing it from working.

http://www.diabloworld.com/forums/archive/topic/33553-1.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, the SP1 bit could be the problem. I tried replacing the ntoskrnl file and it worked fine, so atleast I know it can be done. I'll keep looking around I guess.

*EDIT*

Well the problem wasn't SP1 afterall. It was the filenames, they were to long. I shortened them a bit, and voila, it works!

Last edited:

1. What is the "Multiple Bootscreen Problem"?

The "Multiple Bootscreen Problem" refers to a situation where a computer has multiple operating systems installed and the user is prompted to choose which one to boot up each time the computer is turned on.

2. How does the "Multiple Bootscreen Problem" occur?

The "Multiple Bootscreen Problem" can occur when a user installs multiple operating systems on their computer without properly configuring the boot settings. This results in the computer not knowing which operating system to load, causing a prompt for the user to choose.

3. What are the potential consequences of the "Multiple Bootscreen Problem"?

The "Multiple Bootscreen Problem" can cause confusion and inconvenience for the user, as they have to manually select the operating system each time the computer is turned on. It can also potentially lead to system errors or data loss if the boot settings are not properly configured.

4. How can the "Multiple Bootscreen Problem" be solved?

The "Multiple Bootscreen Problem" can be solved by properly configuring the boot settings on the computer. This can usually be done through the BIOS or boot manager. The user can also remove any unnecessary operating systems to eliminate the boot menu prompt.

5. Are there any precautions to take before attempting to resolve the "Multiple Bootscreen Problem"?

It is important to back up any important data before attempting to fix the "Multiple Bootscreen Problem" in case of any errors or complications. It is also recommended to research and follow proper steps to avoid causing further issues with the computer.