Chain Rule Paradox or Am I Doing Something Wrong?

In summary, the chain rule states that the derivative of a composite function f(x) = g(h(x)) is equal to the derivative of the outer function g, evaluated at the inner function h(x), times the derivative of the inner function h(x). This can be represented by f'(x) = g'(h(x)) * h'(x). In the conversation, it is shown that for the given functions h(x) = ax, g(x) = bx, and f(x) = g(h(x)), the derivative of f(x) is equal to ab(ax) = (a^2)bx. It is also clarified that the derivative of g(h(x)) is not the same as the derivative of g with respect to x
V0ODO0CH1LD
If h(x) = ax, g(x) = bx and f(x) = g(h(x)).

Wouldn't h'(x) = a? And g'(x) = b? And f'(x) = ab?

But the chain rule says f'(x) must equal h'(x)g'(h(x)), so that means f'(x) = ab(ax) = (a^2)bx.

Am I missing something obvious?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
V0ODO0CH1LD said:
If h(x) = ax, g(x) = bx and f(x) = g(h(x)).

Wouldn't h'(x) = a? And g'(x) = b? And f'(x) = ab?

But the chain rule says f'(x) must equal h'(x)g'(h(x)), so that means f'(x) = ab(ax) = (a^2)bx.

Am I missing something obvious?

Perhaps.

h'(x) = a. Yes. It's a constant function.
g'(x) = b. Yes. It's a constant function.

The chain rule says that f'(x) = h'(x)g'(h(x)). Yes.

What's g'(h(x)) ?

That's g'(whatever) = b

What's h'(x)?

That's h'(whatever) = a

What's h'(x)g'(h(x)) ?

That's ab, just like it is supposed to be.

f(x)=g(h(x))=bh(x). f'(x)=bh'(x)=ba. The point is that g'(u)=b, no matter what u is, even if u=h(x).

Okay, but if h(x) = x^2, g(x) = x^2 and f(x) = g(h(x))

Now by your logic f'(x) should be 4x^2 not 4x^3, since h'(x) = 2x and g'(x) = 2x.
Then f'(x) = 2x * 2x = 2x^2.

I am still confused..

V0ODO0CH1LD said:
Okay, but if h(x) = x^2, g(x) = x^2 and f(x) = g(h(x))

Now by your logic f'(x) should be 4x^2 not 4x^3, since h'(x) = 2x and g'(x) = 2x.
Then f'(x) = 2x * 2x = 2x^2.

I am still confused..

In this case the first derivitives are not constant functions. You need to keep track of what your x's are. Don't let the letters trick you.

Work it through. Chain rule says h'(x)g'(h(x))

h'(x) = 2x.
h(x) = x^2
remember that g'(y) = 2y
so
g'(h(x)) = 2h(x) = 2x^2

Put it together, f'(x) = 2x * 2x^2 = 4x^3

And since f(x) = h(x)^2 = (x^2)^2 = x^4, this result is correct.

So if both equations in the chain are linear I use g'(whatever) and h'(whatever), but if one of them isn't what I take the derivative with respect to matters? Why?

If I use mathman's definition I get that d/dx (x^2)^2 = 4x^2 and if I use jrbriggs444's definition I get that d/dx a(bx) = (b^2)ax. What is wrong?

V0ODO0CH1LD said:
So if both equations in the chain are linear I use g'(whatever) and h'(whatever), but if one of them isn't what I take the derivative with respect to matters?
No, it's entirely consistent. You just have to understand that g' here does not mean differentiate g wrt x. It means differentiate g wrt whatever g is a function of, namely h.
If I use mathman's definition I get that d/dx (x^2)^2 = 4x^2
I assume you mean h(x) = x2, g(u) = u2, where u = h.
g'(u) = 2u = 2h(x) = 2x2; h'(x) = 2x; chain rule gives 2x2.2x = 4x3
and if I use jrbriggs444's definition I get that d/dx a(bx) = (b^2)ax.
No. jrbriggs444's first post worked this through and got ab. How are you getting (b2)ax?

Thanks, haruspex's post actually cleared my confusion!

Related to Chain Rule Paradox or Am I Doing Something Wrong?

1. What is the chain rule paradox?

The chain rule paradox is a mathematical concept that arises when taking the derivative of a composite function. It occurs when using the chain rule, the derivative of the outer function is multiplied by the derivative of the inner function, which can lead to different results depending on the order in which the functions are composed.

2. Why is it called a paradox?

The chain rule paradox is called a paradox because it seems to violate the fundamental rules of calculus. According to the chain rule, the derivative of a composite function should be the product of the derivatives of the individual functions, but in certain cases, this does not hold true.

3. How can I avoid the chain rule paradox?

The chain rule paradox can be avoided by using the correct notation and understanding the order in which functions are composed. It is important to clearly identify the inner and outer functions and to use parentheses to indicate the order of operations. Additionally, understanding the concept of implicit differentiation can also help avoid the chain rule paradox.

4. Can the chain rule paradox be applied to any function?

The chain rule paradox can occur in any function that is composed of multiple functions. However, it is more likely to occur in more complex functions with nested functions or trigonometric functions. Simple functions, such as linear or quadratic functions, are not likely to exhibit the chain rule paradox.

5. How can the chain rule paradox be resolved?

The chain rule paradox can be resolved by carefully applying the chain rule and using the correct notation. It is also helpful to understand the concept of implicit differentiation and to practice solving problems involving composite functions. In some cases, the chain rule paradox may also be resolved by using alternative methods, such as partial derivatives or the product rule.