Chain rule for functions of operators?

In summary, this is strictly a math question but I figured that since it is something which would show up in QM, the quantum folks might be already familiar with it. According to the author, if one is dealing with a continuous family of operators such as A(t) (where each A(t) has a different set of eigenvalues and eigenstates), then one can compute a derivative by spectral-decomposing the operator in terms of its eigenvalues and eigenstates.
pellman
This is strictly a math question but I figured that since it is something which would show up in QM, the quantum folks might be already familiar with it.

Suppose we have an operator valued function A(x) of a real parameter x and another function f, both of which have well defined derivatives.

consider [tex]\frac{d}{dx}f(A(x))[/tex]

Does this equal

[tex]\frac{df}{dA}\frac{dA}{dx}[/tex]

or

[tex]\frac{dA}{dx}\frac{df}{dA} [/tex]

or something else? Of course, if A and dA/dx commute, then either expression is good. But it is not clear to me that A and dA/dx would necessarily commute.

Physics news on Phys.org
How do you define df/dA? (I don't think it's something we even want to define).

Fredrik said:
How do you define df/dA? (I don't think it's something we even want to define).

If f(u) is R --> R and has a Taylor series representation

[tex]f(u)=\Sigma \frac{1}{n!}f_n u^n[/tex]

where the f_n are just coefficients. Then

[tex]f'(u)=\Sigma \frac{1}{n!}f_{n+1} u^n[/tex]

We can similarly put

[tex]f(A)=\Sigma \frac{1}{n!}f_n A^n[/tex]

[tex]f'(A)=\Sigma \frac{1}{n!}f_{n+1} A^n[/tex]

For some f this may not work, it may not converge, blah, blah, blah. Let's just assume f is a function for which this works. The actual function I am interested in is [tex]f(A)=e^A[/tex], so f(A) = df/dA anyway.

Maybe I shouldn't be so general. My problem is this:

Suppose we have time-dependent Hamiltonian H(t). Then we can no longer write

[tex]|\Psi(t)\rangle = e^{-iHt}|\Psi(0)\rangle[/tex]

because dH/dt != 0 . What we need is an operator Q(t) such that dQ/dt=H .

Then we would have

[tex]i\frac{d}{dt}|\Psi(t)\rangle =i\frac{d}{dt}e^{-iQ(t)}|\Psi(0)\rangle[/tex]

[tex]=He^{-iQ(t)}|\Psi(0)\rangle[/tex]

or would it be

[tex]=e^{-iQ(t)}H|\Psi(0)\rangle[/tex]?

If H does not commute with Q, then the latter means we are not dealing with a solution to the Schrodinger equation. So what is

[tex]\frac{d}{dt}e^{-iQ(t)}=?[/tex]

(I wrote this before I saw your last post).

I think that's a directional derivative in the direction of A

[tex]\lim_{t\rightarrow 0}\frac{f(A+t\frac{A}{\|A\|})-f(A)}{t}[/tex]

Both the df/dA notation and the f'(A) notation seem very inadequate for directional derivatives. You could use something like [itex]D_X f(A)[/itex] for the directional derivative in direction X, at A. Your df/dA would then be [itex]D_A f(A)[/itex]. However, when we take the derivate of exponentials, don't we always do it with respect to a parameter? For example, when we prove that A is self-adjoint if U=exp(itA) is unitary:

[tex]U^\dagger U=I[/tex]

[tex]U^\dagger=U^{-1}[/tex]

[tex]e^{-itA^\dagger}=e^{-itA}[/tex]

Now apply [tex]\frac{d}{dt}\bigg|_0[/tex] to both sides, and we're done.

Added after I read your post #4: If Q(t) commutes with Q(s) for all t and s, then Q'(t) commutes with Q(t) and therefore with exp(iQ(t)), so the two options are equivalent. I need to think about the possibility that Q(t) doesn't commute with Q(s).

Last edited:
If your A is either self-adjoint or unitary in a (rigged) Hilbert space, then you can easily define a function f(A) by the means of the spectral decomposition of A. Then you can compute a derivative, but, of course, under tight conditions of convergence.

Fredrik said:
I need to think about the possibility that Q(t) doesn't commute with Q(s).
I don't think there are any simple formulas in this case. Note e.g. that d/dt Q(t)2=Q'(t)Q(t)+Q(t)Q'(t). So if we try to apply d/dt to each term of the exponential, things are already weird in the second order term.

I see what you mean. Darn. I was hoping this would have a simple answer.

bigubau said:
If your A is either self-adjoint or unitary in a (rigged) Hilbert space, then you can easily define a function f(A) by the means of the spectral decomposition of A. Then you can compute a derivative, but, of course, under tight conditions of convergence.

Umm,... how does this work when one is dealing is a continuous family of operators
such as A(t) ?

E.g., for a given time, we have an operator [itex]A_0 = A(t=0)[/itex], (assumed to self-adjoint, say),
then we can spectral-decompose in terms of its eigenvalues and eigenstates:

[tex]
f(A_0) ~=~ \int da_0 f(a_0) |a_0\rangle \langle a_0| ~~.
[/tex]

But each A(t) will have a different set of eigenvalues and eigenstates in general,

[tex]
f(A_t) ~=~ \int da_t f(a_t) |a_t\rangle \langle a_t| ~~.
[/tex]

so how does one take the t derivative of the LHS without first computing
the time-dependent eigenvalues and eigenstates explicitly?

(Or did I misunderstand you?)

Related to Chain rule for functions of operators?

1. What is the chain rule for functions of operators?

The chain rule for functions of operators is a mathematical concept used to calculate the derivative of a function that is composed of two or more operators. It states that the derivative of a composite function is equal to the product of the derivatives of each individual function in the chain.

2. How is the chain rule applied in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, the chain rule is used to calculate the derivative of a wave function with respect to a specific operator. This helps to determine how a quantum system will evolve over time, as the derivative of the wave function represents the change in the state of the system.

3. What is the difference between the chain rule for functions of operators and the traditional chain rule?

The traditional chain rule is used to calculate the derivative of a function that is composed of two or more variables. In contrast, the chain rule for functions of operators is used to calculate the derivative of a function that is composed of two or more operators. This is necessary in quantum mechanics, as operators are used to represent physical quantities in the mathematical description of a quantum system.

4. Can the chain rule for functions of operators be extended to functions with more than two operators?

Yes, the chain rule for functions of operators can be extended to functions with any number of operators. This is known as the generalized chain rule, which states that the derivative of a composite function is equal to the sum of the products of the derivatives of each individual function in the chain.

5. Are there any limitations to using the chain rule for functions of operators?

While the chain rule for functions of operators is a powerful tool in quantum mechanics, it has some limitations. One limitation is that it cannot be used to calculate the derivative of a function with non-commuting operators. Additionally, it may become more complex and difficult to apply when dealing with functions with a large number of operators.