Chain problem - velocity as the chain becomes completely vertical

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem involving a hanging rope and a table. The person explaining the problem uses equations to find the velocity of the rope, but realizes there is an error in their calculations. They also mention the need for a curved duct to accurately solve the problem.
hi im nimdA
Homework Statement
A flexible chain of length L slides off the edge of a frictionless table. Initially a length y0 hangs over the edge. Using energy methods, show that the velocity as the chain becomes completely vertical is v=sqrt(g(L-((y0)^2)/L)).
Relevant Equations
(1)Ki + Ui = Kf + Uf (2) K = 1/2 mv^2 (3) U = mgy

To start this problem, I used equation (1) [tex] K_i + U_i = K_f + U_f [/tex] Then, using (2) and (3) and knowing that the initial velocity is 0, I have [tex] m_igy_i = \frac{1}{2} m_fv_f^2 + m_fgy_f [/tex] The mass of the hanging part of the rope is ## \frac{y_0}{L} m ##. Additionally, I set the face of the table as y = 0. Therefore, I end up with this equation [tex] \frac{y_0}{L} mg(-y_0) = \frac{1}{2}mv^2 + mg(-L) [/tex] Using algebra to solve for ## v ##, [tex] \frac{-gy_0^2}{L} = \frac{1}{2}v^2 -gL [/tex] [tex] gL - \frac{gy_0^2}{L} = \frac{1}{2}v^2 [/tex] [tex] g(L-\frac{y_0^2}{L}) = \frac{1}{2}v^2 [/tex] From here it doesn't look like I'll be getting the right answer. Where did I go wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The centre of mass is at L/2 and (yo/2) respectively

@hurreechunder has identified your error, but I really dislike this question.
The chain will not become vertical. As the horizontal section leaves the table it will have horizontal momentum. There is nothing to translate the KE of that into vertical motion.
To get the given answer, there would need to be a smooth curved duct deflecting the chain downwards.

Related to Chain problem - velocity as the chain becomes completely vertical

1. How does the velocity of a chain change as it becomes completely vertical?

As the chain becomes completely vertical, its velocity will decrease. This is because the force of gravity is acting directly against the direction of motion, causing the chain to slow down.

2. What factors affect the velocity of a chain as it becomes completely vertical?

The velocity of a chain as it becomes completely vertical is affected by the length and weight of the chain, as well as the force of gravity acting upon it. The angle at which the chain is released can also impact its velocity.

3. Can the velocity of a chain ever reach zero as it becomes completely vertical?

Technically, yes. However, this would require an idealized scenario where there is no friction or drag acting on the chain. In reality, there will always be some resistance that will prevent the chain from coming to a complete stop.

4. How does the velocity of a chain change as it becomes completely vertical compared to when it is hanging at an angle?

When the chain is hanging at an angle, it will have a higher velocity compared to when it becomes completely vertical. This is because the force of gravity is acting more directly on the chain as it becomes vertical, causing it to slow down.

5. Is there a limit to how slow the chain can move as it becomes completely vertical?

Yes, there is a limit to how slow the chain can move as it becomes completely vertical. This limit is determined by the length and weight of the chain, as well as the force of gravity acting upon it. In a frictionless scenario, the chain will continue to slow down until it comes to a stop. However, in reality, there will always be some resistance that will prevent the chain from reaching a complete stop.