Cgs or SI in quantum field theory?

In summary: It's also not a really important difference, because by far most physicists use rationalized SI units without ever thinking about it. In fact, you have to be a careful observer to see the difference.
nomadreid
Gold Member
I have an acquaintance who maintains that in quantum field theory, primarily the cgs system is used. OK, I know it's not really important, but I was under the impression that everyone had switched to SI. (My book on quantum field theory has very few actual quantities with units outside of GeV, so I couldn't check it there.) So, for example, if one had a text that covered both astronomical distances and nuclear distances, and one wished to use a single base unit (instead of having everything from light years down to femtometers), would one typically choose meters or centimeters?

Physics news on Phys.org
People in QFT usually use a simplified SI with ##\hbar=c=\epsilon_0=\mu_0=1##.

Likes nomadreid
In my opinion in theoretical physics one should use the Heaviside-Lorentz system of units, i.e., rationalized Gaussian cgs units, because it reflects the fundamental structure of electrodynamics, i.e., electric and magnetic field components have the same dimension. You can also simplify your life a lot by introducing on top "natural units", where ##\hbar=c=1##. Then you have only one base unit left. In HEP usually one uses GeV for energies, masses and momenta. For distances and times a handy unit is fm. Then you only need the conversion factor ##\hbar c=0.197 \; \text{GeV} \; \text{fm}## to convert GeV to 1/fm and vice vs.

Of course, there's no principle objection to use SI units in all of physics, although it's cumbersome and unintuitive in some applications.

Likes nomadreid
Many thanks, Demystifier and vanhees71. Live and learn... if I understand correctly, both answers are equivalent, with vanhees71 giving a bit more detail.

In the Wiki page on Heaviside-Lorentz, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorentz–Heaviside_units, one has examples of many quantities, but not of distance, for which vanhees71 gave the conversion. Although it seems strange to refer to a distance in terms of the reciprocal of an energy, that would nonetheless provide the base unit for all scales that I was looking for. (That is, question nicely answered!) However, I presume that this strangeness is the reason that vanhees71 suggested fm. If, after using fm for referring to small distances, one would then talk of a large distance in the same paragraph, it would seem strange to continue to talk in terms of fm, and so I guess you would not try to keep one unit but rather switch to other units (cm, m, km, ly, etc.) in that case to stay on the intuitive level.

If one (i) simplifies SI by putting ##\epsilon_0=\mu_0=1## and (ii) rationalizes CGS by moving ##4\pi## from Maxwell equations to their solutions, what differences between SI and CGS still remain?

Likes nomadreid
In the original Gaussian or Heaviside-Lorentz system, of course you have cm, g and s as base units. Only when you introduce "natural units" by setting the conversion factors ##\hbar## (modified Planck action quantum) and ##c## (vacuum speed of light) to 1, you have only one unit left, which is usually chosen as GeV for masses, energies, and momenta and fm for lengths and times. You then only need the above given conversion factor ##\hbar c=0.197 \text{GeV} \, \text{fm}##.

You can of course also go to Planck units, by also setting Newton's Gravitational constant ##G=1##. Then all quantities are pure numbers ("dimensionless"):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planck_units

Likes nomadreid and Demystifier
Demystifier said:
If one (i) simplifies SI by putting ##\epsilon_0=\mu_0=1## and (ii) rationalizes CGS by moving ##4\pi## from Maxwell equations to their solutions, what differences between SI and CGS still remain?
You still have the idiosyncratic difference in the units used for electric and magnetic components in the SI. Only if you set in addition ##c=1##, this difference vanishes.

Likes nomadreid and Demystifier

Related to Cgs or SI in quantum field theory?

1. What is the difference between CGS and SI units in quantum field theory?

CGS (centimeter-gram-second) and SI (International System of Units) are two different systems of measurement used in physics. In quantum field theory, CGS units are often used due to their simplicity and convenience in calculations. SI units, on the other hand, are the modern standard for scientific measurement and are used in most scientific publications.

2. Which system of measurement is more commonly used in quantum field theory?

In the past, CGS units were more commonly used in quantum field theory. However, with the adoption of SI units as the international standard, they are now more commonly used in modern research and publications.

3. Can CGS and SI units be used interchangeably in quantum field theory?

Yes, CGS and SI units can be converted and used interchangeably in quantum field theory. However, it is important to note that certain equations and constants may have different numerical values depending on the system of units used.

4. Which system of units is preferred in quantum field theory calculations?

This is a matter of personal preference and convenience. Some physicists may prefer using CGS units due to their simplicity, while others may prefer using SI units as it is the modern standard.

5. Are there any advantages to using one system of units over the other in quantum field theory?

Both CGS and SI units have their own advantages and disadvantages. While CGS units are simpler to use and may be more familiar to some physicists, SI units are more precise and consistent with other branches of science. Ultimately, the choice of which system of units to use in quantum field theory depends on the individual researcher or publication guidelines.