Centripetal Force of swung keys Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the equations Fc = Fg and Fnet = FT - Fg to determine the minimum speed and tension in a string needed for keys to maintain a circular path while being swung in a vertical plane. The attempted solution uses these equations to calculate a speed of 1.57 m/s and a tension of 2.0 N, and also mentions the concept of conservation of energy in relation to the speed being constant.
MiniOreo1998

Homework Statement

Keys with a combined mass of 0.100 kg are attached to a 0.25 m long string and swung in a circle in the vertical plane.

A) What is the slowest speed the keys can swing and still maintain a circular path?

B) What is the tension in the string at the bottom of the circle?

I'm confident with A, however am still a bit shaky with B... Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Homework Equations

A)
Fc = Fg
m v2 / r = m g

B)
Fnet = FT - Fg
FT = Fnet + Fg

The Attempt at a Solution

A)
[/B]
Fc = Fg
m v2 / r = m g
v = (rg)2
v = √(0.25) (9.8)2
v = 1.57 m/s

B)

Fnet = FT - Fg
FT = Fnet + Fg
FT = m v2 / r + m g
FT = (0.1) (1.57)2 / 0.25 + (0.1) (9.8)
FT = 2.0 N

Physics news on Phys.org
Is the speed constant?

haruspex said:
Is the speed constant?
The problem is word for word what I've given here. (I wish more info were made available, it seems as if this can be interpreted in more than one way)

MiniOreo1998 said:
The problem is word for word what I've given here. (I wish more info were made available, it seems as if this can be interpreted in more than one way)
My question was intended as rhetorical. I would say it is not constant. According to what law would you expect it to vary?

haruspex said:
My question was intended as rhetorical. I would say it is not constant. According to what law would you expect it to vary?
Conservation of energy.

MiniOreo1998 said:
Conservation of energy.
Right.

Related to Centripetal Force of swung keys Problem

What is the Centripetal Force of the Swung Keys Problem?

The Centripetal Force of the Swung Keys Problem is a physics problem that involves calculating the force needed to keep a set of keys moving in a circular motion while attached to a string.

How do you calculate the Centripetal Force of the Swung Keys Problem?

To calculate the Centripetal Force of the Swung Keys Problem, you will need to know the mass of the keys, the speed at which they are moving, and the radius of the circular motion. The formula for centripetal force is F = (mv^2)/r, where m is the mass, v is the velocity, and r is the radius.

What is the difference between centripetal force and centrifugal force?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular motion, while centrifugal force is a fictitious outward force that appears to act on an object moving in a circular motion. Centrifugal force is often referred to as a "pseudo-force" because it only appears to exist due to the object's inertia.

How does the length of the string affect the Centripetal Force of the Swung Keys Problem?

The length of the string does not directly affect the Centripetal Force of the Swung Keys Problem. However, a longer string will allow the keys to swing in a larger circle, meaning a greater centripetal force will be needed to keep them moving at the same speed.

What are some real-life applications of the Centripetal Force of the Swung Keys Problem?

The Centripetal Force of the Swung Keys Problem has many real-life applications, including carnival rides, satellite orbits, and roller coasters. It is also used in the design of cars and airplanes to ensure they can safely make turns without losing control.