Centripetal Force in a Clothesdryer

In summary, the conversation discusses the design of an automatic clothes dryer where a hollow cylinder moves the clothes on a vertical circle with a radius of 0.32m. The goal is to determine the number of revolutions per second the cylinder should make so that the clothes lose contact with the wall when the angle is 70.0 degrees. The solution involves using the equation mg = mv^2/Rsinθ and finding the circumference of the circle using 2πR. However, there is a critical error in the final answer due to a dimensionless trigonometric factor.
GoldShadow
The question is:
"In an automatic clothes dryer, a hollow cylinder moves the clothes on a vertical circle (radius r=0.32m). The appliance is designed so that the clothes tumble as they dry. This means that when a piece of clothing reaches an angle of [tex]\theta[/tex] above the horizontal, it loses contact with the wall of the cylinder and falls onto the clothes below. How many revolutions per second should the cylinder make in order that the clothes lose contact with the wall when [tex]\theta[/tex]=70.0 degrees?
dryer.jpg
I set it up like so:
dryer2.jpg

Where the center of the drawing is an article of clothing on the edge of the dryer. F is the centripetal force toward the center of the dryer, N is the normal force against the walls of the dryer. Since I'm looking for the number of revolutions per sec, I need to solve for velocity. I figure that the clothing will fall when the vertical component of the normal force is just equal to the force of gravity (mg). The vertical component of centripetal force should be equal to gravity, like I put in my diagram.

So I used mg=Fsin[tex]\theta[/tex], which I rewrote as [tex]mg=\frac{mv^{2}}{R}sin\theta[/tex]. Using the given 70.0 deg for theta and 0.32m for R, and 9.8 for g, I got that v=1.83 m/s. Then I just got the circumference using 2(pi)R, which was 2.01m. Divided velocity by circumf. to get number of revolutions/sec. Final answer was 0.91 rev/sec.
Could somebody tell me if I approached this correctly at all or if I did something wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you are mixing centripetal and centrifugal force considerations in your solution. In the reference frame of someone watching the clothes spin, N is the normal force of the drum wall on the clothing, so it should point toward the center of the drum. It is the sum of the components of the normal and weight forces along that radius of the drum that provide the centripetal force. So what would the equation for the centripetal force be?

The clothes will just break contact with the drum wall when N goes to zero. That will reduce your equation to something like what you got, but there is a critical error in what you ended up with (the units won't help you find it, because the problem is with the dimensionless trig factor). [Note: the effect on the answer turns out not to be big, because the factor that needs to be adjusted is in the neighborhood of 1, anyway...]

Your approach is correct. You correctly identified the forces acting on the clothing and used the equations for centripetal force and velocity to solve for the number of revolutions per second. Your final answer of 0.91 rev/sec is also correct. Good job!

Related to Centripetal Force in a Clothesdryer

What is centripetal force in a clothesdryer?

Centripetal force in a clothesdryer is the force that pulls the wet clothes towards the center of the dryer drum, keeping them in circular motion.

How does centripetal force dry clothes?

The centripetal force in a clothesdryer causes the wet clothes to rub against each other, creating friction which helps to remove moisture and dry the clothes.

What factors affect the centripetal force in a clothesdryer?

The speed of rotation, size and weight of the clothes, and the shape and size of the dryer drum can all affect the centripetal force in a clothesdryer.

Why is centripetal force important in a clothesdryer?

Centripetal force is important because it helps to evenly distribute the wet clothes in the dryer, preventing them from clumping together and ensuring that they dry efficiently.

Can the centripetal force in a clothesdryer be too strong?

Yes, if the centripetal force is too strong, it can cause the clothes to stick to the sides of the dryer drum and not dry properly. It is important to find a balance between enough force to dry the clothes and not too much force that can damage them.