Centripetal Force Experiment: Impact of Free Mass on Error

In summary, the conversation is about a lab report question regarding the centripetal force experiment and whether using a larger "free mass" would reduce the percentage error. The equations and sources of error are mentioned, and it is suggested that a larger mass may not necessarily reduce the error due to increased friction. The purpose of the lab report is to give the best answer possible.
andyfeynman

Homework Statement

I'm doing the lab report questions for the centripetal force experiment using this apparatus: ftp://ftp.pasco.com/Support/Documents/english/ME/ME-8088/012-08478B.pdf.

One of the lab questions asks whether using a larger "free mass" reduces the percentage error.

Homework Equations

F=Mω2R

The Attempt at a Solution

I think there are three main sources of error:
1. there is friction between the "free mass" and the rotating arm as it may not completely free to slide along the groove.
2. the cable may not be completely vertical. Therefore the force sensor may measure an extra horizontal component of the tension.
3. the pulley is not frictionless and it has a rotational inertia

Then I guess it won't because a larger mass implies greater friction between the mass and the rotating arm, hence larger error. But I'm not really sure...

Physics news on Phys.org
The purpose of the lab report is for you to take your best shot at the answers. I recommend that you have a little confidence and say what you think. It sounds like you've done a pretty good job so far.

Chet

Related to Centripetal Force Experiment: Impact of Free Mass on Error

1. What is the purpose of a centripetal force experiment?

The purpose of a centripetal force experiment is to study the relationship between the centripetal force acting on an object and its resulting acceleration. This can help us understand the concept of circular motion and how different variables affect it.

2. What materials are needed for a centripetal force experiment?

The materials needed for a centripetal force experiment may include a rotating platform, a string, a mass hanger, weights, a stopwatch, and a ruler. Other materials such as a protractor may also be used depending on the specific setup of the experiment.

3. How is the centripetal force calculated in an experiment?

The centripetal force can be calculated using the formula F = m * v^2 / r, where F is the centripetal force, m is the mass of the object, v is the velocity of the object, and r is the radius of the circular path. This formula can be derived from Newton's second law of motion, which states that the net force on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration.

4. What are some sources of error in a centripetal force experiment?

Some sources of error in a centripetal force experiment may include friction in the rotating platform, air resistance, human error in timing and measuring, and the limitations of the equipment used. These errors can affect the accuracy and precision of the results obtained in the experiment.

5. How can the results of a centripetal force experiment be applied in real life?

The concept of centripetal force is applicable in various real-life situations such as amusement park rides, car racing, and satellite orbiting. Understanding the relationship between centripetal force and acceleration can help us design and improve these systems to ensure safety and efficiency. It also plays a crucial role in fields such as engineering, physics, and astronomy.