Centripetal Force and free body diagram

In summary, the conversation discusses drawing a free body diagram for a mass in motion, identifying the centripetal force, and calculating the magnitude of the force exerted by a spring on the mass. It also addresses determining the mass of an object suspended over a pulley that will stretch the spring by the same amount as during the rotation. The conversation also touches on the number of forces acting on the mass and the concept of tension from the string supporting the mass.
KL90

Homework Statement

a. Draw a free body diagram for mass Mb while in motion (fig. 2a). Identify the centripetal force. assume that the mass hangs vertically

b. Calculate the magnitude of the force exerted by the spring on mass Mb = 402g, moving in a circle of radius r=18cm (fig. 2a). The mass makes 20 revolutions in 12 seconds. Determine the mass m, suspended over the pulley (fig 2b), which stretch the spring by the same amount as during the rotation.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a. Mb would have 3 forces: F spring (Fsp), F centripetal force (Fc) and F gravity (Fg).
Fsp is point outwards to the right, Fc pointing inwards to the left, and Fg is pointing downwards.
I was wondering if it would have tension from the string supporting Mb?

b. Fsp=Fc = mv2/r = m(2[tex]\pi[/tex]f)2r
here, v = 2[tex]\pi[/tex]r/T = circumference/Period and frequency = 1/T

1) Fsp = 0.402kg x (2[tex]\pi[/tex] 20rev/12sec)2 x 0.18m'
= 7.967 Nt
I'm not entirely sure if what i did is correct.

2) I'm not entirely sure how to calculate m after this point.

Attachments

• img014.jpg
    img014.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 3,305
Physics news on Phys.org
KL90 said:
a. Mb would have 3 forces: F spring (Fsp), F centripetal force (Fc) and F gravity (Fg).
I agree with the number of applied forces, but you are double-counting one of them, and you are neglecting another one.

Actually, if you want to count pseudo-forces (other than weight), then you can list four, and you have listed all but one of them.

KL90 said:
Fsp is point outwards to the right, Fc pointing inwards to the left, ...
I think that you should reread the attachment.

KL90 said:
I was wondering if it would have tension from the string supporting Mb?
Good thinking. Ask yourself: Is the mass in (instantaneous) translational equilibrium (in the rotating frame)? Should there be a force that counteracts the weight, and, if so, what supplies this force?

I would need more information on the spring constant and the amount of stretch in order to determine the mass m. Additionally, the information provided does not specify whether the spring is ideal or not, so that may affect the calculation as well. It would be helpful to have more context or information to accurately determine m in this scenario.

Related to Centripetal Force and free body diagram

1. What is centripetal force?

Centripetal force is the force that acts on an object moving in a circular path, directed towards the center of the circle. It is responsible for keeping the object moving in a curved path instead of a straight line.

2. How is centripetal force related to free body diagrams?

In a free body diagram, all of the forces acting on an object are represented by arrows. The centripetal force is one of these forces and is drawn towards the center of the circle. By including the centripetal force in a free body diagram, we can better understand the different forces acting on an object in circular motion.

3. What is the difference between centripetal force and centrifugal force?

Centripetal force is the force that acts towards the center of a circle, while centrifugal force is the apparent force that acts away from the center of a circle. Centrifugal force is not a real force, but rather a result of the inertia of an object trying to continue moving in a straight line while following a curved path.

4. Can centripetal force change the speed of an object?

No, centripetal force only changes the direction of an object's motion, not its speed. In circular motion, the object's speed remains constant while its direction changes constantly due to the centripetal force.

5. What factors affect the strength of centripetal force?

The strength of centripetal force depends on the mass, speed, and radius of the object in circular motion. A larger mass or higher speed will require a stronger centripetal force to keep the object in its circular path, while a larger radius will require a weaker centripetal force.