Centripetal force and acceleration

In summary, to find the moon's acceleration, we can use the equation a = 4(pi)^2r/T^2 and convert the 27.3 days to seconds. After plugging in the values, the acceleration is found to be 2.72 x 10^-3 m/s^2.
dance_sg

Homework Statement

The moon takes 27.3 days to circle Earth and its centre is located 3.84 x 108 m from the centre of Earth. What is the Moon’s acceleration?

Homework Equations

a=v^2/r, a=4(pi)^2mr/T^2

The Attempt at a Solution

i don't know how to answer this question becuase i don't know what I am suppossed to do with the 27.3 days.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your equations look good except for the "m" in the second equation. Where did that come from?

Anyways, the units of acceleration is the meter per second per second, m/(s^2). You must convert the days to seconds. This is a common procedure for many intro physics problems.

so then i would just use the second equation i provided(excluding the m) plug everything in and get an answer of 2.72 x 10^-3 m/s2??

Yups

Related to Centripetal force and acceleration

1. What is centripetal force?

Centripetal force is the force that acts towards the center of a circular motion. It keeps an object moving in a circular path.

2. How is centripetal force different from centrifugal force?

Centripetal force is the force that pulls an object towards the center of a circular motion, while centrifugal force is the apparent outward force that an object experiences as a result of its inertia.

3. What is the relationship between centripetal force and acceleration?

The centripetal force is directly proportional to the acceleration of an object moving in a circular path. This means that as the centripetal force increases, the acceleration also increases.

4. How does centripetal force affect an object's speed and direction?

Centripetal force changes an object's direction, causing it to move in a circular path. It does not change the object's speed, but it is necessary to maintain the object's constant speed in a circular motion.

5. What factors affect the strength of centripetal force?

The strength of centripetal force depends on the mass and velocity of the object, as well as the radius of the circular path it is moving in. A larger mass or higher velocity will result in a greater centripetal force, while a larger radius will result in a weaker centripetal force.