Centripetal Force acceleration

In summary, the conversation is about finding the centripetal acceleration at a certain distance from the center of a rotating CD-ROM. The formula for centripetal acceleration is mentioned and there is a discussion about whether the velocity is constant or not. The correct way to find the acceleration is explained using the relation between angular velocity and linear velocity. A resource is also provided for further understanding.
luap12
1. A computer is reading data from a rotating CD-ROM. At a point that is 0.0330 m from the center of the disk, the centripetal acceleration is 264 m/s2. What is the centripetal acceleration at a point that is 0.0702 m from the center of the disc?

2. ac=v2/r

3. So my thoughts here are that it should be assumed that the velocity is constant. So I need to fine that velocity for the known radius and acceleration with the equation about. After I find the velocity, I can plug it into the equation with the new radius and find the acceleration that way.
ac=v2/r
264=v2/.0330
v2=8.712 m/s
v=2.95161 m/s

then plugging that into the equation with the other radius
ac=v2/r
ac=8.712/.0702
ac=124.10256 m/s2

This is not the right answer for my homework though. Not sure what I am doing wrong. Anyone know?

Physics news on Phys.org
well...the disc is rotating...so v is NOT constant. However, for constant rotation, angular velocity is constant. Use the relation between that and v, and modify your equation for acceleration.

ok, I understand now that the velocity is not constant. I don't believe we have covered angular velocity yet in class, unless I am just overlooking it. How do you do that? I did set up a proportion though with the velocity and radius and got it correct.

Related to Centripetal Force acceleration

1. What is centripetal force acceleration?

Centripetal force acceleration is the acceleration experienced by an object moving in a circular path. It is always directed towards the center of the circle and is necessary for the object to maintain its circular motion.

2. How is centripetal force acceleration calculated?

The formula for calculating centripetal force acceleration is a = v^2 / r, where a is the acceleration, v is the velocity of the object, and r is the radius of the circle.

3. What is the difference between centripetal force acceleration and tangential acceleration?

Centripetal force acceleration is the acceleration towards the center of the circle, while tangential acceleration is the acceleration along the tangent of the circle. Both are necessary for an object to maintain circular motion.

4. What are some real-life examples of centripetal force acceleration?

Some examples of centripetal force acceleration in everyday life include swinging a bucket of water in a circular motion without spilling, a car turning a corner, and a rollercoaster looping around a track.

5. How does centripetal force acceleration relate to Newton's laws of motion?

Centripetal force acceleration is a result of Newton's first law of motion, which states that an object will continue in its state of motion unless acted upon by an external force. In the case of circular motion, the centripetal force acts as the external force, keeping the object moving in a circular path.