Centripetal Acceleration Problem

In summary: The only thing I would add is the answer to the final question, "what is the centripetal acceleration?"In summary, to find the radians per second of a centrifuge rotating at 12000rpm, the formula 12000 x 2π = 24000π rads/min was used and then converted to rads/sec by dividing by 60. The tangential velocity was then found by multiplying the rads/sec by the radius of the centrifuge. To find the centripetal acceleration, the formula a = v^2 / r was used, with the tangential velocity found earlier being substituted for v and the radius of the centrifuge being substituted for r. This resulted in a final answer of 236
Kieran12

Homework Statement

A centrifuge rotates at 12000rpm, what is the radians per second? If the radius of the centrifuge is 150mm, what is the centripetal acceleration?

Homework Equations

Angular Velocity: ω = Δθ/Δt (maybe, not sure)

Centripetal Acceleration: a = v2 / r

The Attempt at a Solution

To get the radians per second, I did 12000 x 2π = 24000π rads/min. Then to get this in rads/sec I just did 24000π / 60 = 400π rads/sec
This gives me the tangential velocity (I think).

Then for to get the centripetal acceleration, I firstly converted the 400π rads/sec to metres/sec: 400π x 0.150 = 60π = 188.5 m/s.

I then used the formula for Centripetal Acceleration to get: a = 188.52 / 0.150
Which gave me: a = 236881.6 m/s2
Any and all help is welcome! If I've done this completely wrong please feel free to destroy everything I thought true and correct me like a Physics martyr.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Kieran and welcome to PF. I am also a newbie and I wonder if PF is meant to help all to score A++ or whatever regional markings exist.

On the other hand, your posting is exemplary. Completely clear.

You have done the exercise, checked the results. Is there something you are uncomfortable with, or something you would like to have explained ?

The 'not sure' part: yes, radians per second is radians divided by seconds. Same as with meters per second for speed. Normally a differential, but for uniform rotation a ratio.

And, to cap: I can't find anything wrong in what you did. Does that help ?

Last edited:
Erm. I'd like someone to explain what I've done wrong, where I've gone wrong and what I need to do to make it un-wrong.

Looks good! Note that you don't have to convert to tangential speed you can directly use centripetal acc = w^2(r).

Last edited:
Hi Kieran12! http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif

All looks correct. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Centripetal Acceleration Problem

What is centripetal acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration experienced by an object moving in a circular path. It always points towards the center of the circle and is necessary to keep the object moving in a circular path.

How is centripetal acceleration calculated?

The formula for calculating centripetal acceleration is a=v2/r, where a is the centripetal acceleration, v is the velocity of the object, and r is the radius of the circle.

What is the difference between centripetal acceleration and centrifugal force?

Centripetal acceleration is the force that causes an object to move in a circular path, while centrifugal force is the apparent force that pushes an object away from the center of the circle. Centrifugal force is actually a result of inertia, and does not exist as a true force.

How does centripetal acceleration affect the speed of an object?

Centripetal acceleration is directly proportional to the speed of the object. This means that as the speed of the object increases, the centripetal acceleration also increases. Therefore, a faster moving object will experience a greater centripetal acceleration.

What are some real-world examples of centripetal acceleration?

Some examples of centripetal acceleration in everyday life include a car making a turn, a rollercoaster going around a loop, and a planet orbiting around a star. Any time an object moves in a circular path, there is centripetal acceleration at play.