Centripetal acceleration problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving an object moving at constant speed along a circular path in a horizontal xy plane. The object's velocity and acceleration are given at specific points on the circle, and the concept of uniform circular motion is discussed. The summary also includes the values for the object's velocity and acceleration at a different point on the circle.
RadiationX
I have the solution to this problem but I'm not understanding the concept behind the solution.

An object moves at constant speed along a circular path in a horizontal xy plane,with the center at the origin.When the object is at [tex] x=-2m[/tex] its velocity is [tex]-(4m/s)[/tex] in the J (hat) direction. Give the objects velocity and acceleration when it is at y=2m.

the answers -(4ms) in the i (hat) direction and -(8ms^s) in the j (hat direction)

Physics news on Phys.org
I really don't see a way to find the centripetal acceleration.You'd basically need "omega".What about the answer for the velocity...?To me,it seems 2 as big as it should be.

Daniel.

RadiationX said:
I have the solution to this problem but I'm not understanding the concept behind the solution.

An object moves at constant speed along a circular path in a horizontal xy plane,with the center at the origin.When the object is at [tex] x=-2m[/tex] its velocity is [tex]-(4m/s)[/tex] in the J (hat) direction. Give the objects velocity and acceleration when it is at y=2m.

the answers -(4ms) in the i (hat) direction and -(8ms^s) in the j (hat direction)
For the given uniform circular motion around the origin, the velocity "v" will have constant magnitude and be perpendicular to a radius drawn from the origin (center) to the object's position on the circle. When the object's velocity "v" is (-4 m/s)j at x=(-2 m), the radius from origin to object will lie along the x-axis, and therefore the object must be crossing the negative x-axis x=(-2 m). Thus, the circle radius is r=(2 m), and the object is moving counter-clockwise.

When the object is at y=(+2 m), it will be crossing the positive y-axis (since the circle's radius is r=2) in the counter-clockwise direction with the same magnitude as before. Thus, its velocity here is v=(-4 m/s)i. The acceleration "A" at this point must be perpendicular to its path and directed towards the circle's center. Hence, it will have direction (-1)j and magnitude (v^2)/r. Using the values for |v|=(4) and r=(2) yields A=(-8 m/sec^2)j.
~

Last edited:
RadiationX said:

it is uniform circular motion... at any time the speed is constant

at x = -2 m the object is moving in -j direction only, and we immediately know that the object travels with speed 4 m/s in a circular path of radius 2 m in anti-clockwise direction.

so at y = 2 m, the x coordinate should be zero. and the velocity should be in -i direction. since there's not j component, v = -4 m/s i

and you just substitude numbers in the formula you should get the centripetal acceration

RadiationX said:

By = - 2 m you mean the point (-2,0), don't you? If so, this point belongs to the circle the object moves along (see attached picture) and this means that the radius of the circle is r = 2 m. It is also clear that the object moves anti-clockwise. From the relation between the linear velocity and angular velocity you get [tex]\omega = 2[/tex] 1/s. The linear velocity is perpendicular to the radius, the speed is constant, so the velocity at P' ( 0,2) is
[tex]\vec{v} = -4 \vec {i} [/tex]
and the centripetal acceleration is
[tex] \vec {a} = - \omega^2 r \vec {j} = -8 \vec {j} [/tex]

ehild

Last edited:
thanks i got it

Related to Centripetal acceleration problem

What is centripetal acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration that an object experiences as it moves in a circular path. It always points towards the center of the circle and is necessary to keep the object in its circular motion.

What causes centripetal acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is caused by a force acting on an object that is directed towards the center of the circular path. This force can be provided by tension in a string, gravity, or any other force that pulls the object towards the center.

How is centripetal acceleration calculated?

The formula for calculating centripetal acceleration is a = v^2/r, where a is the acceleration, v is the velocity of the object, and r is the radius of the circle. This formula assumes that the object is moving at a constant speed and is experiencing a constant force towards the center of the circle.

What is the difference between centripetal acceleration and tangential acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration towards the center of the circle, while tangential acceleration is the acceleration along the tangent of the circle. Centripetal acceleration is necessary to keep the object in its circular path, while tangential acceleration can change the speed of the object.

How does centripetal acceleration affect the motion of an object?

Centripetal acceleration affects the motion of an object by keeping it in a circular path and preventing it from moving in a straight line. The direction of the acceleration is constantly changing, causing the object to constantly change its direction of motion, but not its speed.