Centripetal acceleration problem (very easy)

In summary, the acceleration of the object is 13 m/s^2, calculated by taking the square of the velocity (8 m/s) and dividing it by the radius (5 m) of the circle it is moving in. This results in an acceleration of approximately 13 m/s^2. The given mass of the object (2.5 kg) is irrelevant in this calculation.
coding_delight
A 2.5 kg object moves at a constant speed of 8.0 m/s in a 5.0 m radius circle. What is the object's acceleration?

I'm quite sure the answer to the problem is 32 m/s^2, but apparently the right answer is 13 m/s^2. Unless I'm missing a detail about the "constant velocity" part of the problem, can some one please explain why the answer is 13.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, Coding... but you're in the wrong forum. This is pretty obviously a homework question, which is not allowed in this section. As such, you must show what you've already done by way of figuring it out.

[tex]a_c= \frac{v^2}{r} [/tex]

The mass is superfluous.

coding_delight said:
A 2.5 kg object moves at a constant speed of 8.0 m/s in a 5.0 m radius circle. What is the object's acceleration?

I'm quite sure the answer to the problem is 32 m/s^2, but apparently the right answer is 13 m/s^2. Unless I'm missing a detail about the "constant velocity" part of the problem, can some one please explain why the answer is 13.

How could you possibly have got "32 m/s^2"? The only way to combine the numbers given to get 32 would be "82 times 2.5 divided by 5". If you do that, your units would be kg m/s2, not m/s2. Since there is no mass unit in acceleration, as bel says, the mass is irrelevant.

duh.. 32 units is the force, 13units is the acceleration

coding_delight said:

acceleration = v*v/r
= 8*8/5
= 64/5=12.8
= 13 (approx)

Related to Centripetal acceleration problem (very easy)

1. What is centripetal acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration experienced by an object moving in a circular path. It is always directed towards the center of the circle and its magnitude is given by the formula a = v^2/r, where v is the velocity of the object and r is the radius of the circle.

2. How do you solve centripetal acceleration problems?

To solve a centripetal acceleration problem, you will need to identify the known and unknown variables, use the formula a = v^2/r to calculate the acceleration, and make sure to use the correct unit of measurement. It is also important to draw a diagram to visualize the problem and use the appropriate formula for the given scenario.

3. What is the difference between centripetal acceleration and centrifugal force?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration that keeps an object in circular motion, while centrifugal force is the outward force experienced by an object moving in a circular path. Centripetal acceleration is a real force, while centrifugal force is a fictitious force that only appears to exist due to the object's inertia.

4. How does centripetal acceleration affect the speed of an object?

Centripetal acceleration is directly proportional to the square of the object's speed. This means that as the speed of an object increases, the centripetal acceleration required to keep it in circular motion also increases. If the centripetal acceleration is not sufficient, the object will fly off tangent to the circle.

5. Can centripetal acceleration ever be negative?

No, centripetal acceleration can never be negative. It is always directed towards the center of the circle, which means its direction is always changing but it never points in the opposite direction of the object's motion. If the calculated acceleration is negative, it means that the direction of the object's motion is changing, but the object is not moving in a circular path.