Centripetal Acceleration Outwards

In summary, when you drive around a corner, you experience a push away from the corner because of the centripetal acceleration. The centrifugal force is an effect of your system being non-inertial and points outwards.
dliangsta
Hi. I have a question that I can't seem to figure out in my self study of physics. Why does centripetal acceleration point inward?

When I drive around a corner, my body experiences a push away from the corner. I go that way, however, because of the car pushing me towards it. Not because of the centripetal acceleration, but because of its equal and opposite force.

That's what my brain tells me anyway, but I must have a logical flaw somewhere, or else 99% of the physics community wouldn't disagree with me. Can anyone help me? Thanks :)

Physics news on Phys.org
dliangsta said:
When I drive around a corner, my body experiences a push away from the corner. I go that way, however, because of the car pushing me towards it.
If no force were acting on you, you would have continued straight ahead. Since you follow the car around the corner, some force is necessary to make you change direction.
dliangsta said:
Not because of the centripetal acceleration, but because of its equal and opposite force.
What force? Equal and opposite to what?

The centripetal force is the force from your car seat that makes sure you follow the car. In an inertial system, it is the only force there is. It points to the center or you would end up turning in the other direction.

The centrifugal force is an effect of your system being non-inertial and points outwards. In the system where the car is at rest, it is this force that explains why you are pressed to the away from the center of the motion. The force from the car seat now explains why you are not moving with respect to the car. Surely you feel that the car seat is pushing you in that direction. It is the same when you accelerate the car, the car seat will push you forward.

In the same fashion, the floor pushes you up (not down) to counteract gravitational acceleration.

Likes dliangsta
Thanks @Orodruin! Your explanation was very helpful. Thanks also to @Svein!

I didn't know the difference between centrifugal and centripetal and just used them interchangeably... Thank you guys!

Related to Centripetal Acceleration Outwards

What is centripetal acceleration outwards?

Centripetal acceleration outwards is the acceleration experienced by an object moving in a circular path, directed towards the center of the circle. It is also known as radial acceleration.

What causes centripetal acceleration outwards?

Centripetal acceleration outwards is caused by the centripetal force acting on the object. This force is necessary to keep the object moving in a circular path and is always directed towards the center of the circle.

How is centripetal acceleration outwards calculated?

The formula for calculating centripetal acceleration outwards is a = v^2/r, where a is the acceleration, v is the velocity of the object, and r is the radius of the circular path.

What is the difference between centripetal acceleration outwards and centripetal acceleration inwards?

Centripetal acceleration outwards is the acceleration experienced by an object moving in a circular path, while centripetal acceleration inwards is the acceleration experienced by an object moving in a circular path towards the center of the circle. Both accelerations have the same magnitude but are directed in opposite directions.

What are some real-life examples of centripetal acceleration outwards?

Some examples of centripetal acceleration outwards include the motion of a car around a curved track, the rotation of a merry-go-round, or the orbit of planets around the sun.