Centripetal Acceleration of bicyclist

In summary: I plugged in the numbers for the force formula and got 275.4 N, I'm assuming that's the net force as its the centripetal force.The answer sheet says that the net force is the centripetal force of the bicycle and gravity.
sylenteck0

Homework Statement

A bicyclist travels in a circle of radius 25.0m at a constant speed of 9.00 m/s. The bicycle-rider mass is 85.0 kg. Calculate the magnitudes of a) the force of friction on the bicycle from the road and b) the net force on the bicycle from the road.

Homework Equations

F=ma
m(v^2/r)

The Attempt at a Solution

I plugged in the numbers for the force formula and got 275.4 N, I'm assuming that's the net force as its the centripetal force.

Im unsure how to find the force of the friction however. Any suggestions? (On that note, did I confuse the two?

-Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Start by listing all the forces acting on the bicycle: name them and indicate their direction.

You did calculate the net force (assuming your arithmetic is correct), but the question asks for the net force from the road, which is not the same thing.

Ah, so what I found was the force of the bicycle on the road?

So, the net force on the bicycle on the road would be the reactive force from gravity, making it 9.8 x 85.0 kg, right? (Which is 833N)

sylenteck0 said:
Ah, so what I found was the force of the bicycle on the road?
What you found was the net force on the bicycle due to all forces, not just from the road.

What forces does the road exert on the bicycle? (Consider vertical and horizontal forces separately.)

According to the answer sheet, the answers I got are correct, but I'll get on thinking about that :)

sylenteck0 said:
According to the answer sheet, the answers I got are correct, but I'll get on thinking about that :)
How did you answer the questions? You've shown your calculation of the net force on the bicycle. That is one of the answers, but which one? :wink:

sylenteck0 said:
So, the net force on the bicycle on the road would be the reactive force from gravity, making it 9.8 x 85.0 kg, right? (Which is 833N)
That's the normal component of the force the road exerts on the bicycle, not the net force.

For your own clarity, I'd still recommend listing the forces acting on the bicycle and their direction.

Just curious what the answer sheet says.

Related to Centripetal Acceleration of bicyclist

What is centripetal acceleration in relation to a bicyclist?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration towards the center of a circular path that a bicyclist experiences while riding.

How is centripetal acceleration calculated for a bicyclist?

The formula for calculating centripetal acceleration is a = v²/r, where a is the acceleration, v is the velocity, and r is the radius of the circular path.

What factors affect the centripetal acceleration of a bicyclist?

The centripetal acceleration of a bicyclist is affected by the speed of the cyclist, the radius of the circular path, and the mass of the cyclist and their bicycle.

Why is centripetal acceleration important for understanding cycling?

Centripetal acceleration is important for understanding cycling because it can affect the stability and safety of the cyclist while riding, especially when turning or going around curves.

How does centripetal acceleration differ from tangential acceleration for a bicyclist?

Centripetal acceleration is directed towards the center of the circular path, while tangential acceleration is directed tangentially to the circular path. They are both components of the total acceleration experienced by a cyclist riding in a circular path.