Centripetal acceleration geometry

In summary, the conversation discusses a geometry question regarding uniform motion and the proof that in uniform circular motion, ΔV/V = s/R. The main focus is on proving that the angle formed between the tangent lines and the circle is a right angle. The inscribed angle theorem is mentioned as a potential approach to solving the problem.
richardbsmith
This is probably a geometry question more that a physics question. I am trying to prove that in uniform circular motion [tex]\Delta[/tex] V[tex]/[/tex]V= s[tex]/[/tex]R.

I am basically trying to show that S forms a right triangle with [tex]\Delta[/tex]V, when [tex]V{1}[/tex] is added to [tex]V{2}[/tex] as a vector. (This is to demonstrate that the triangles are similar.)

I understand that the angle formed by S and [tex]\Delta[/tex]V is a right angle because it obviously inscribes the diameter. I just cannot seem to find a satisfactory proof that [tex]\Delta[/tex]V must necessarily intersect the circle at the diameter.

Probably not explaining this very well.

Physics news on Phys.org
richardbsmith said:
This is probably a geometry question more that a physics question. I am trying to prove that in uniform circular motion [tex]\Delta[/tex] V[tex]/[/tex]V= s[tex]/[/tex]R.

I am basically trying to show that S forms a right triangle with [tex]\Delta[/tex]V, when [tex]V{1}[/tex] is added to [tex]V{2}[/tex] as a vector. (This is to demonstrate that the triangles are similar.)

I understand that the angle formed by S and [tex]\Delta[/tex]V is a right angle because it obviously inscribes the diameter. I just cannot seem to find a satisfactory proof that [tex]\Delta[/tex]V must necessarily intersect the circle at the diameter.

Probably not explaining this very well.
If you are solving geometry problems with both distances and velocities involved, then you
are probably making a mistake: remember that they have different units! (unless you study relativistic theory)
For the mentioned problem you should use formulas:
s=R*fi (fi is angle of the part of orbit traveled in radians)
[tex]\Delta[/tex]V=V*sin(fi') (fi' is the angle between the old and new velocity vector)

Prove that fi=fi' and use sin(fi)=fi (for small angles) and you will get [tex]\Delta[/tex] V[tex]/[/tex]V= s[tex]/[/tex]R

Thank you so much for responding. I think though my question which started with uniform motion and delta V, is now simply a geometry question.

I will try to put up a drawing of what I so pitifully tried to explain.

uniformcircularmotion.png

Here is another image with a different angle and size of the tangents.
uniformcircularmotion2.png

I have tried several approaches, but I cannot prove that the angle formed from tangent 1 to tangent 2 to the circle must inscribe a 180 degree arc and must be a right angle.

From : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inscribed_angle_theorem
In geometry, the inscribed angle theorem states that an angle θ inscribed in a circle is half of the central angle 2θ that subtends the same arc on the circle.
So, to get an inscribed angle of 90° you need a central angle of 180°(=diameter line).

Related to Centripetal acceleration geometry

1. What is centripetal acceleration geometry?

Centripetal acceleration geometry is the study of the forces and motions involved in circular motion. It is a branch of physics that deals with the relationship between centripetal force, centripetal acceleration, and the geometry of the circular path.

2. How is centripetal acceleration related to centripetal force?

Centripetal acceleration and centripetal force are directly proportional to each other. This means that as the magnitude of centripetal force increases, so does the centripetal acceleration. This relationship is described by the equation a = v^2/r, where a is the centripetal acceleration, v is the velocity of the object, and r is the radius of the circular path.

3. What is the formula for calculating centripetal acceleration?

The formula for calculating centripetal acceleration is a = v^2/r, where a is the centripetal acceleration in meters per second squared (m/s^2), v is the velocity of the object in meters per second (m/s), and r is the radius of the circular path in meters (m).

4. How is centripetal acceleration different from tangential acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration towards the center of a circular path, while tangential acceleration is the acceleration along the tangent of the circular path. Centripetal acceleration is always perpendicular to the velocity of the object, while tangential acceleration is parallel to the velocity.

5. What are some real-world examples of centripetal acceleration?

Some real-world examples of centripetal acceleration include the motion of planets around the sun, the rotation of a car's tires while turning, and the motion of a ball in a spinning centrifuge. Roller coasters, Ferris wheels, and curved roads also involve centripetal acceleration.