Centripetal Acceleration check my reasoning

In summary, the conversation was about a lab where a hanging mass attached to a string was used to find the mass of a rubber stopper. The equations used in the attempt to find the solution were f=ma, radial acceleration = r^-1 v^2, and net force = mass times acceleration. The main question was about when to consider the masses as a system and when not to. The final solution obtained was M1g = Msv^2/r, where M1 was the known mass hanging, g was the acceleration due to gravity, Ms was the mass of the rubber stopper, v was the speed of the stopper, and r was the length of the string. Further clarification was requested on the data used
pointintime

Homework Statement

ok well then...

we did a lab were you have a hanging mass attached to a stirng that went through a straw and was attached to a rubber stopper. The lab was to find the mass of the rubber stopper once you know the velocity. So I was woundering if this looks correct

Homework Equations

f = ma
m1 = mass of stopper
m2 = mass of hanging mass

radial acceleration = r^-1 v^2

The Attempt at a Solution

net force radial = m (acceleration radial) = force of gravity on mass m2
net force radial = (m1 + m2) (acceleration radial) = m2 g
net force radial = m1(acceleration radial) + m2 (acceleration radial) = m2 g
net force radial = m1(acceleration radial) = m2 g - m2 (acceleration radial)

divided both sides by acceleration radial

m1 = (acceleration radial)^-1 ( m2 g - m2 (acceleration radial) )

at which point I plugged in the value I found for the radius
the value I found for the period
and found the radial acceleration

Physics news on Phys.org
ok hmmm

m2 g = m1 (acceleration radial)

so then if this is the correct equation my question... is how do you know when to consider the masses as a system and when not to?

net force = mass times acceleration

by deffintion
it dosen\'t mean this necessarily

net force = net mass times acceleration

when do I know when I should use the net mass and when not to as I have gotten points taken off before because i didn\'t use the net mass and am not sure when to consider the masses as one system and when not to...

like how come this is wrong

net force radial = (m1 + m2) (acceleration radial) = force of gravity on m2

and this is right

net force radial = m1 (acceleration radial) = force of gravity on m2

I need help on when to make this distinction between the masses and when not to as I don\'t know when i should...

THANKS!
This has been eating me away and I need to know this or the whole problem is wrong so it\'s important that I know when to make this distinction and when not to. So can you tell me when I should and when I shouldn\'t?

M1g = Msv^2/r

M1 was your known mass hanging. g is the acceleration due to gravity. Ms is the mass of your rubber stopper. v is the speed of your rubber stopper and r was the length of the string from the straw to the rubber stopper (the radius of the circle the rubber stopper was making around the straw)

I guess you counted how many times it took to make a certain number of revolutions in a certain amount of time. 1 rev. =2 x pi x r. Divide the number of revolutions by the time in seconds it took to make those revolutions and you got v. At this point you know everything but Ms so put all the numbers in and solve for Ms

can you answer my question in #3

Could you please give me your data:

Mass of the object hanging from the string.
radius of the circle the stopper was making while holding the mass at rest below the straw.
How many times the stopper went around and in what amount of time.

Related to Centripetal Acceleration check my reasoning

1. What is centripetal acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration that an object experiences when it moves in a circular path. It is always directed towards the center of the circle and is responsible for keeping the object moving in a circular motion.

2. How is centripetal acceleration different from centrifugal force?

Centripetal acceleration is the actual acceleration experienced by the object moving in a circular path, while centrifugal force is a fictitious force that appears to act on the object due to its inertia. Centrifugal force is a reaction force to centripetal acceleration and does not actually exist.

3. What is the formula for calculating centripetal acceleration?

The formula for calculating centripetal acceleration is a = v^2 / r, where a is the acceleration, v is the velocity of the object, and r is the radius of the circular path.

4. Is centripetal acceleration always directed towards the center of the circle?

Yes, centripetal acceleration is always directed towards the center of the circle. This is because the direction of the acceleration is determined by the change in velocity, which is always directed towards the center of the circle in a circular motion.

5. How does centripetal acceleration relate to the concept of uniform circular motion?

Centripetal acceleration is a key component of uniform circular motion. In uniform circular motion, the magnitude of the velocity remains constant, but the direction of the velocity is constantly changing due to the presence of centripetal acceleration.