Centripetal acceleration changing radians/s into rpm's

In summary, the conversation discussed the process of centrifugal casting and the required rate of rotation to eliminate bubbles and ensure high structural integrity. Using the equation ac=rω^2, it was determined that each particle must undergo 100g of acceleration. To convert this into revolutions per minute, the equation ω=sqrt(100g/2.10 x 10^-2m) was used, resulting in a final answer of 2.06 x 10^3 rev/min. The individual also mentions using a calculator and providing their work for verification.
mhuffman

Homework Statement

Centrifugal castings- a copper sleeve of inner radius 2.10 cm and outer radius 2.20 cm is to be cast. To eliminate bubbles and give high structural integrity, the centripetal acceleration of each bit of metal should be 100g. What rate of rotation is required? State answer in revolutions per minute.

Homework Equations

r=radius, ac=centripetal acceleration, ω=angular speed, g=gravity.
What I have right now is: ac=rω2, so every particle must undergo 100g of acceleration giving ac=100g or rω2=100g reduced to;
ω=√100(9.8m/s)/2.10 x 10-2m
the conversion factor will be the answer in rads/s (1rev/2π)(60s/1min)

The Attempt at a Solution

My problem is converting this into radians per second then into rpm's. I am not looking for the answwer per say, but how to put this into my Ti-83 plus and doing the math. I also need to be able to show my work in long hand and just throwing out an answer will not work. I tried using the r from the angle setting and using both radians and degree mode, I looked in the manual but it use of no use. I am sure I am just overlooking something simple, any help would be great.

Thanks and have a great day.

Physics news on Phys.org
Oops, I obviously made a mental/keystroke error. I believe I got it right, I have:
ω=√100g/2.10 x 10-2m
ω=216 rads/s=rpm=216rads/s(1rev/2∏rad)(60.0s/1min)=216(30/∏) leaving rpm's
216rads/s=2.06 x 103 rev/min
If you happen to see any mistakes, feel free to comment,

Thanks and have a great day,
m

Related to Centripetal acceleration changing radians/s into rpm's

What is centripetal acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration directed towards the center of a circular path, caused by the change in direction of an object's velocity.

How is centripetal acceleration calculated?

Centripetal acceleration can be calculated using the formula a = v^2 / r, where a is the centripetal acceleration, v is the velocity, and r is the radius of the circular path.

What is the relationship between radians/s and rpm's?

Radians/s and rpm's both measure angular velocity, but they are different units. Radians/s is a unit of angular velocity in the SI system, while rpm's (revolutions per minute) is a unit of angular velocity in the imperial system.

How do you convert radians/s to rpm's?

To convert radians/s to rpm's, you can use the formula rpm = (radians/s) x (60 / 2π), where rpm is revolutions per minute and 2π is equal to 360 degrees. This will give you the equivalent value in rpm's.

Why is it important to convert centripetal acceleration from radians/s to rpm's?

Converting centripetal acceleration from radians/s to rpm's allows for easier comparison and understanding of angular velocity values, especially when working with different units of measurement. It also allows for better visualization and interpretation of an object's motion in a circular path.