Centripetal acceleration blood plasma problem

In summary: Then use ac = v2/r to find the acceleration at each end.Part (a) gives you the radius of the center of the tube. Use the angle of the tube and some trig to find the radii of the ends of the tube. Then use ac = v2/r to find the acceleration at each end.In summary, the conversation is about a physics problem involving the separation of human blood components using centrifugation. The question involves finding the distance of a sample of blood from the rotation axis of a centrifuge and calculating the accelerations experienced by the blood at different points along the test tube. The answer for part a is 15 cm, and for part b it ranges from 1300g to 2700g
nlsherrill

Homework Statement

From Tipler's Physics for Scientists and Engineers(the latest edition)

71.Human blood contains plasma, platelets, and blood cells. To separate the plasma from other components, centrifugation is used. Effective centrifugation requires subjecting blood to an acceleration of 2000g or more. In this situation, assume that blood is contained in test tubes that are 15 cm long and are full of blood. These tubes ride in the centrifuge tilted at an angle of 45.0° above the horizontal. (a) What is the distance of a sample of blood from the rotation axis of a centrifuge rotating at 3500 rpm, if it has an acceleration of 2000g? (b) If the blood at the center of the tubes revolves around the rotation axis at the radius calculated in Part (a), calculate the accelerations experienced by the blood at each end of the test tube. Express all accelerations as multiples of g.

Homework Equations

a=v^2/r
v=(2*pi*r)/T

The Attempt at a Solution

First of all the answers are

a)15 cm
b)1300g to 2700g

I honestly don't know how they got part A other than just taking the length of the tube itself, which is 15 cm. Each part of the tube is a different distance from the axis of rotation, so I guess they made a generalization or something.

I do think i know how to get the max an min accelerations though. And also, my webassign is using 16.5 cm as the length of the tube, and I entered that and it counted it wrong, so there must be a different way to find "r"?

any help appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
nlsherrill said:
I honestly don't know how they got part A other than just taking the length of the tube itself, which is 15 cm. Each part of the tube is a different distance from the axis of rotation, so I guess they made a generalization or something.
No generalization--you have all the information needed to calculate the distance from the axis. Hint: Expression the centripetal acceleration formula in terms of angular speed. The length of the tube is not needed for this part.

I think I am catching on a little bit. 2000g in the problem refers to centripetal acceleration, not tangential correct? Should I be integrating to get velocity or anything?

Please forgive my ignorance, my professor has not even gone over this chapter and the homework for it is due tonight...

nlsherrill said:
2000g in the problem refers to centripetal acceleration, not tangential correct?
Correct.

Hint: ac = v2/r = ω2r

Figure out ω from the given RPMs. (ω is the angular speed in radians per second.)

You can also stick to the first form of the centripetal acceleration formula (in terms of v), but then you'll have to express the tangential speed v in terms of the RPMs and the radius.

Either way, you'll be able to solve for the radius.

Doc Al said:
Correct.

Hint: ac = v2/r = ω2r

Figure out ω from the given RPMs. (ω is the angular speed in radians per second.)

You can also stick to the first form of the centripetal acceleration formula (in terms of v), but then you'll have to express the tangential speed v in terms of the RPMs and the radius.

Either way, you'll be able to solve for the radius.

Thanks for your help, I got them!

When I first looked at this problem in the book, and the answer for the first part was exactly that as the length, I was wondering if they just used that. Then I looked on webassign and they had an example with 15.3 as the length and that was also their answer for the radius from the center! How deceiving.

I can follow this problem through part (a), but I keep getting lost in part (b). Would someone mind clearing it up for me a little?

dch1runs said:
I can follow this problem through part (a), but I keep getting lost in part (b). Would someone mind clearing it up for me a little?
Part (a) gives you the radius of the center of the tube. Use the angle of the tube and some trig to find the radii of the ends of the tube.

Related to Centripetal acceleration blood plasma problem

1. What is centripetal acceleration and how does it relate to blood plasma?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration that an object experiences as it moves along a circular path. In the case of blood plasma, this acceleration is caused by the circular motion of the blood as it flows through the blood vessels in the body.

2. Why is centripetal acceleration a problem for blood plasma?

Centripetal acceleration can be a problem for blood plasma as it can cause the plasma to separate from the blood cells and form a layer along the outer edge of the blood vessel. This can lead to health issues such as reduced blood flow and increased risk of blood clots.

3. How is centripetal acceleration of blood plasma measured?

The centripetal acceleration of blood plasma can be measured using a centrifuge, which spins a sample of blood at a high speed to separate the plasma from the blood cells. The force acting on the plasma is then used to calculate the centripetal acceleration.

4. Can centripetal acceleration of blood plasma be controlled?

Yes, centripetal acceleration of blood plasma can be controlled through various methods such as adjusting the speed and direction of blood flow, as well as using medications to prevent blood clots and maintain healthy blood vessel function.

5. What are the potential consequences of high centripetal acceleration on blood plasma?

If the centripetal acceleration of blood plasma is too high, it can lead to health issues such as reduced blood flow, increased risk of blood clots, and damage to the blood vessel walls. It can also affect the distribution of essential nutrients and oxygen to the body's tissues and organs.