Centripetal acceleration/ angular velocity question

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the angular speed needed for a proposed space station with a 52.5m diameter circular ring to make the occupants feel the same weight as they do on Earth. The equations used include r=c/2Pi, a(centripetal)= v2/r, and Δ∅=s/r. A solution attempt is provided, but it is incorrect due to confusion with the diameter and circumference.
carsonk152
This is my first post on here so let me know if I need to provide more info.

Homework Statement

A proposed space station includes living quarters in a circular ring 52.5 m in diameter. At what angular speed should the ring rotate so the occupants feel that they have the same weight as they do on Earth?

Homework Equations

r=c/2Pi
a(centripetal)= v2/r => v=sqrt( ac*r
Δ∅=s/r

The Attempt at a Solution

r=52.5/2*Pi= 8.356
v= sqrt(9.81*8.356)=9.0538
Δ∅=9.0538/8.356=1.084 rad/sec

This was my first attempt at the problem but I was returned that the answer is wrong, any ideas on what I did?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Just kidding I realized I confused the diameter with the circumference, of course it's always the little things...

Related to Centripetal acceleration/ angular velocity question

1. What is centripetal acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration experienced by an object moving in a circular path. It always points towards the center of the circle and is caused by the force of the object's velocity changing direction.

2. How is centripetal acceleration calculated?

Centripetal acceleration can be calculated using the formula a = v^2/r, where a is the centripetal acceleration, v is the velocity of the object, and r is the radius of the circular path.

3. What factors affect centripetal acceleration?

The two main factors that affect centripetal acceleration are the speed of the object and the radius of the circular path. As the speed increases or the radius decreases, the centripetal acceleration also increases.

4. What is angular velocity?

Angular velocity is the measure of how fast an object is rotating around a fixed point, also known as the angular speed. It is measured in radians per second and is calculated by dividing the angle traversed by the time taken.

5. How is angular velocity related to centripetal acceleration?

Angular velocity and centripetal acceleration are directly proportional. This means that as the angular velocity increases, the centripetal acceleration also increases. This relationship can be seen in the formula a = ω^2r, where a is the centripetal acceleration, ω is the angular velocity, and r is the radius of the circular path.