Centrifugal force on water in a glass

In summary: You have solved the problem.In summary, the water at the rim of the rotating cylindrical glass is higher than water at the centre.
srecko97

Homework Statement

There is a cyllindrical glass (r=0.05 m) full of water. It is rotating around its vertical geometric axis with 3 turns per second. How many centimetres higher is water at the rim than in the centre of the glass . Water rotates together with the glass.

Homework Equations

p=ρah
ω=2πγ
a=ω2r

The Attempt at a Solution

All I know is that the shape of water is parabolic. In the centre there is no additional pressure from rotation, the pressure on the glass is p=ρah, a=ω2r
total pressure on any point is px + py (vectorial sumation)

Physics news on Phys.org
srecko97 said:
All I know is that the shape of water is parabolic.

That's right. If we let the vertex be at (0,0) then you just need to find the Y value when X=0.05m.
Start by drawing a free body diagram for a piece of water on the surface.

Likes srecko97
probably is y=Cx2 ... but I do not know what is C, maybe a/g ... a=17.8 m/s^2, g=10 m/s^2 i do not know, honestly just guessing, as i do not know how to solve it

billy_joule said:
Start by drawing a free body diagram for a piece of water on the surface.

Post your FBD and we'll see where you've gone wrong.

Likes srecko97
I do not know what free body diagram is. Sorry. Please explain to me and I will try

srecko97 said:
I do not know what free body diagram is. Sorry. Please explain to me and I will try
Consider a small parcel of water at the surface, at some radius x. If the surface shape is described by y=f(x), what is the slope there? Draw a diagram of the parcel of water and the forces acting on it. Treat the rest of the water as a frictionless solid.

Likes srecko97
20170129_121122.jpg

srecko97 said:
20170129_121122.jpg
Ok. You left out a normal force, and you need to answer this question
haruspex said:
If the surface shape is described by y=f(x), what is the slope there?
I.e., in terms of x and y.

Likes srecko97
tanφ =ω2r / g

and dy/dx = ω2r / g
so: y= ω2r x /g ... for r=x I get y= ω2x2 /2g

Likes billy_joule
and I have y if i put r=x!

srecko97 said:
and I have y if i put r=x!
Right. So what answer do you get?

Likes srecko97
4,4cm

srecko97 said:
4,4cm
Using g=10m/s2, yes, but 4,5cm would be a bit closer.
Well done.

Likes srecko97

Related to Centrifugal force on water in a glass

1. What is centrifugal force on water in a glass?

Centrifugal force on water in a glass is a fictitious force that appears to act on an object as it moves in a circular path. It is not a true force, but rather a perceived force due to the inertia of the object.

2. How does centrifugal force on water in a glass work?

Centrifugal force on water in a glass is generated when the glass is rotated in a circular motion. This causes the water to also move in a circular path, and the centrifugal force acts in the opposite direction to the motion of the water, pushing it towards the outer edge of the glass.

3. What factors affect the strength of centrifugal force on water in a glass?

The strength of centrifugal force on water in a glass is influenced by the speed of rotation, the mass of the water, and the distance of the water from the center of rotation. The faster the rotation, the larger the mass of water, and the farther the water is from the center, the stronger the centrifugal force will be.

4. How does the shape of the glass affect centrifugal force on water in a glass?

The shape of the glass can affect centrifugal force on water in a glass by altering the distance of the water from the center of rotation. For example, a wider glass will have a larger distance from the center, resulting in a stronger centrifugal force on the water.

5. Is centrifugal force on water in a glass a real force?

No, centrifugal force on water in a glass is not a true force. It is a perceived force that occurs due to the inertia of the water as it moves in a circular path. The only real forces acting on the water are gravity and the normal force from the bottom of the glass.