Centrifugal force as dot products

In summary, the conversation discusses the computation of the centrifugal force and its representation as a scalar in the form of ##\frac 1 2 (\vec r\cdot\vec{\Omega})^2 - \frac 1 2 \Omega^2 r^2##. However, this is not the correct form and the correct form is obtained by taking the gradient with respect to ##\vec r## and negating.
Dustinsfl
The centrifugal force is
$$
\Omega\times r\times \Omega
$$

I paper I am reading then writes it as ##\frac{1}{2}(r\Omega)^2 - \frac{1}{2}\Omega^2r^2##

How was this obtained?

Using the fact that ##a\times b\times c = (ac)b - (ab)c##, I don't get what they are getting so there is something else that I am missing.

Physics news on Phys.org
Dustinsfl said:
The centrifugal force is
$$
$$

I paper I am reading then writes it as ##\frac{1}{2}(r\Omega)^2 - \frac{1}{2}\Omega^2r^2##

How was this obtained?

Using the fact that ##a\times b\times c = (ac)b - (ab)c##, I don't get what they are getting so there is something else that I am missing.
Is there something assumed about a relationship between Ω and r ?

Is Ω precessing about r, or vice-versa ?

##\Omega\times r\times \Omega\ ## is a vector.

##\frac{1}{2}(r\Omega)^2 - \frac{1}{2}\Omega^2r^2## is a scalar .

Dustinsfl said:
The centrifugal force is
$$
$$

How was this obtained?

As written, that's a scalar, it has the wrong units for force, and it's zero.

However, ##\frac 1 2 (\vec r\cdot\vec{\Omega})^2 - \frac 1 2 \Omega^2 r^2## is something very different. It's still a scalar, it still has the wrong units for a force, but it is a rather special scalar. It's the centrifugal potential. Take the gradient with respect to ##\vec r## and negate and you'll get the centrifugal force.

Related to Centrifugal force as dot products

1. What is centrifugal force?

Centrifugal force is the apparent outward force that occurs in a rotating reference frame, caused by the inertia of an object in motion.

2. How is centrifugal force related to dot products?

Centrifugal force is related to dot products through the formula F = mω^2r, where F is the centrifugal force, m is the mass of the object, ω is the angular velocity, and r is the distance from the object to the center of rotation. This formula involves the dot product of the angular velocity vector and the position vector.

3. Can centrifugal force be experienced on a non-rotating object?

No, centrifugal force can only be experienced on a rotating object. It is a result of the object's motion in a non-inertial reference frame.

4. How is centrifugal force different from centripetal force?

Centripetal force is the inward force that keeps an object in circular motion, while centrifugal force is the outward force that appears to act on the object due to its motion in a rotating reference frame. The two forces are equal in magnitude but act in opposite directions.

5. Is centrifugal force a real force?

Centrifugal force is not considered a real force in the traditional sense, as it is a result of an object's motion in a rotating reference frame. However, it can be a useful concept in understanding and analyzing rotational motion.