Center Pole Magnet: Can It Exist?

In summary, it is not possible to have a center-pole magnet with one pole at the center and the other facing out in every direction. This is because the molecules would force each other to face the same direction, or the dipoles of each molecule would cancel out. This is supported by the fact that div B = 0, meaning no net magnetic flux can come out of a closed surface.
SaMx
I want you to help me settle an arguement. Is it possible to have a center-pole magnet? That is, a magnet with one pole at the center, and the other pole facing out in every direction? I think that it isn't, because the molecules would force each other to all face the same direcion, or all of the dipoles of each molecule would cancel out.

Physics news on Phys.org
SaMx said:
I want you to help me settle an arguement. Is it possible to have a center-pole magnet? That is, a magnet with one pole at the center, and the other pole facing out in every direction? I think that it isn't, because the molecules would force each other to all face the same direcion, or all of the dipoles of each molecule would cancel out.

No, it is not possible. The simple answer is that div B = 0, which means that no net magnetic flux can come out of a closed surface. A closed surface around the center pole would have a net magnetic flux going through it.

Thanks, I knew I was right. your explanation is a little confusing (I have to admit I don't know all of the magnetic equations, so I'm not sure what B stands for, or why its derivative would be taken), but your answer seems to line up with my common sense.

Related to Center Pole Magnet: Can It Exist?

1. What is a center pole magnet?

A center pole magnet is a theoretical magnetic structure that has a single magnetic pole in the center, rather than the usual two poles (north and south) found in traditional magnets.

2. Can a center pole magnet exist?

As of now, there is no evidence to suggest that a center pole magnet exists in nature. However, some researchers are exploring the possibility of creating artificial center pole magnets in controlled laboratory settings.

3. How would a center pole magnet differ from a traditional magnet?

A center pole magnet would have a unique magnetic field, with only one pole instead of the usual two. This would result in different magnetic properties and behaviors compared to traditional magnets.

4. What are the potential applications of a center pole magnet?

If a center pole magnet can be created, it could have potential uses in areas such as data storage, medical imaging, and energy production. However, more research is needed to fully understand its properties and potential applications.

5. What challenges need to be overcome for a center pole magnet to exist?

Creating a center pole magnet would require overcoming many technical challenges, such as finding suitable materials and designing a structure that can maintain a stable single pole. It would also require a better understanding of the fundamental principles of magnetism.