Center of rotation of a free rod

In summary: An "instant center of rotation" is the point at which the force on an object ceases to translate the object and starts purely rotating it. In other words, it is the point at which the object's center of mass begins to rotate.
alba
Suppose we have a free rod on a frictionless surface: if we hit it on a tip it will translate and rotate around its CM.

What happens if we hit it at any other point between tip and CM? will it still rotate around CM?, if not, is it easy to find the center of rotation?

If not, are the 3 conservation laws still valid to find the angular velocity? I should say no because if the center is not at CM the rotation will be asymmetric.

Thanks a lot

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure, but i think that the rotation center is a relative concept' just as the origien of the axe's is arbitrary.
for each point you will get a diffrent moment of innertia.

alba said:
Suppose we have a free rod on a frictionless surface: if we hit it on a tip it will translate and rotate around its CM.

What happens if we hit it at any other point between tip and CM? will it still rotate around CM?
Suppose that the rod rotated around some point other than its CM. In other words, assume that a hypothetical center of rotation were translating and the rod was rotating around it. Can you describe in ordinary non-mathematical terms the path that the center of mass would be following?

If the center of mass follows such a path, would momentum be conserved?

If i understand you correctly, the center of mass will rotate around the "center of rotation" which is a point that moves in a straight line. I think that the problem with this (legitimate) description of the system. Is that it is not an inertial reference frame.

jbriggs444 said:
Suppose that the rod rotated around some point other than its CM. In other words, assume that a hypothetical center of rotation were translating and the rod was rotating around it. Can you describe in ordinary non-mathematical terms the path that the center of mass would be following?If the center of mass follows such a path, would momentum be conserved?
I know the rod should always rotate around CM, but I asked becaause I fount this post on the web at SE : http://physics.stackexchange.com/qu...ct-and-start-purely-rotating-it/174171#174171 which seem to contrast with the other answer.

Can you explain what is an " instant center of rotation." ?and what does it mean that :".. a force not through the center of mass will rotate the body about a specified point."? what is the specified point, the instant center?

Please do not answer in riddles.

If you do not want an answer to the question you asked, ask a different question.

Related to Center of rotation of a free rod

1. What is the center of rotation of a free rod?

The center of rotation of a free rod is the point around which the rod can rotate without any external forces acting on it. It is also known as the pivot point or the fulcrum.

2. How is the center of rotation determined for a free rod?

The center of rotation of a free rod can be determined by finding the point where the rod would balance perfectly if placed on a pivot or fulcrum. It can also be calculated by finding the average position of all the points on the rod.

3. Can the center of rotation of a free rod change?

Yes, the center of rotation of a free rod can change if there are external forces acting on the rod. For example, if an unbalanced force is applied to one end of the rod, the center of rotation will shift to a new point.

4. What is the importance of knowing the center of rotation of a free rod?

Understanding the center of rotation of a free rod is important in many applications, such as engineering and physics. It helps in designing structures and machines that can rotate efficiently around a specific point.

5. How does the length of a free rod affect its center of rotation?

The length of a free rod does not affect its center of rotation, as it is determined by the balance and distribution of mass along the rod. However, a longer rod may have a larger range of motion and may require a larger pivot point or fulcrum.