Center of mass prob. with sigma notation, vectors

In summary, the magnitude R of the position vector for the center of mass is given by the equation M^{2}R^{2} = M\sum{m_{i}r^{2}_{i} - \frac{1}{2}\sum{m_{i}m_{j}r_{ij}^{2}. This can be simplified by using dot products and vector operations, but the specific method may vary depending on the given values and the desired answer.
gn0m0n

Homework Statement

Prove the magnitude R of the position vector [tex]\vec{R}[/tex] for the center of mass from an arbitrary point of origin is given by the equation

M[tex]^{2}[/tex]R[tex]^{2}[/tex] = M[tex]\sum{m_{i}r^{2}_{i}[/tex] - [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex][tex]\sum{m_{i}m_{j}r_{ij}^{2}[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]\vec{R}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{1}{M}[/tex] [tex]\sum{m_{i}\vec{r}_{i}[/tex]

M=[tex]\sum{m_{i}[/tex]

[tex]\vec{r}_{ij}[/tex] = [tex]\vec{r}_i[/tex] - [tex]\vec{r}_j[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

OK, the simplest thing to start with is to simply dot [tex]\vec{R}[/tex] with itself to get the magnitude R[tex]^{2}[/tex] and then bring over M[tex]^{2}[/tex] to the LHS. However, I'm not sure how to handle the dotting/squaring with the indices.

Would it be

M[tex]^{2}[/tex]R[tex]^{2}[/tex] = [tex]\sum{m_{i}\vec{r}_{i}[/tex] [tex]\bullet[/tex] [tex]\sum{m_{i}\vec{r}_{i}[/tex]

OR

M[tex]^{2}[/tex]R[tex]^{2}[/tex] = [tex]\sum{m_{i}\vec{r}_{i}[/tex] [tex]\bullet[/tex] [tex]\sum{m_{j}\vec{r}_{j}[/tex] ?

Can I then simplify that by bringing terms out of the summation, or the dot product inside?

My recollection of the summation rules is a bit fuzzy. Actually, I'm not sure I've used the summation notation along with vector operations before.

I've tried writing the squared magnitudes in the desired answer as dot products, too, which allowed me to do a lot of rewriting but I can't connect the givens to the answer yet.

I.e.,
r[tex]^{2}_{i}[/tex] = [tex]\vec{r}_{i}[/tex] [tex]\bullet\vec{r}_{i}[/tex]
r[tex]^{2}_{ij}[/tex] = [tex]\vec{r}_{ij}[/tex] [tex]\bullet\vec{r}_{ij}[/tex] = [tex](\vec{r}_{i}-\vec{r}_{j})[/tex] [tex]\bullet (\vec{r}_{i}-\vec{r}_{j})[/tex] = [tex]\vec{r}_{i}[/tex] [tex]\bullet\vec{r}_{i}[/tex] - 2[tex]\vec{r}_{i}[/tex] [tex]\bullet\vec{r}_{j}[/tex] + [tex]\vec{r}_{j}[/tex] [tex]\bullet\vec{r}_{j}[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry that looks kind of rough, I'm no expert at TeX.

Related to Center of mass prob. with sigma notation, vectors

1. What is the center of mass?

The center of mass is a point in an object or system that represents the average position of all the mass in that object or system. It is the point where the mass of the object can be considered to be concentrated.

2. What is sigma notation?

Sigma notation is a way of writing mathematical sums using the symbol Σ. It allows for a more concise and efficient way of representing repetitive addition of terms in a series.

3. How is the center of mass calculated using sigma notation?

The center of mass can be calculated using the formula x̄= Σ(mixi)/Σmi, where x̄ represents the x-coordinate of the center of mass, mi represents the mass of each individual component, and xi represents the x-coordinate of each individual component.

4. How are vectors used in center of mass calculations?

Vectors are used in center of mass calculations because they represent both the magnitude and direction of a physical quantity, such as mass or position. By using vectors, the center of mass can be accurately calculated in three-dimensional space.

5. What is the significance of the center of mass in physics?

The center of mass is significant in physics because it helps to simplify and solve complex systems by reducing them to a single point. It is also used to determine the stability, motion, and behavior of objects and systems in various physical scenarios.