Center of Mass of separating Orbiting Mass

In summary, the question is about what happens to the orbit of a mass that remains in orbit when another mass in the same system is propelled away by an external force. The answer depends on the type of external force applied. If the force is from a jet of gas emitted by the propelled mass, the trajectory of the center of mass (CoM) of the system will not change in the short term, but may change in the long term if the propelled mass falls to Earth. If the external force is not from the propelled mass, the trajectory of the CoM of the system will change due to the external impulse.
LydiaJ
I was reading about the ISS earlier, and this question came into my mind, and I can't seem to decided how this actually works. Here's the set-up:

Say I have two masses stuck together (m1 and m2) to form a mass M in orbit around some planet (like the ISS, and some large space capsule that is docked with it), and m2 takes off due to an external force (like the capsule flying away without pushing up against the ISS) what happens to the orbit of the mass that didn't take off?

I think that if the two masses were pushed apart from each other due to some internal force (like if some giant spring pushed them apart from one another) then they would both move away from each other, and, I think, the center of mass of the new system would continue on in the same orbit as M would have followed (conservation of momentum). But that's not the situation here, since there is an external force applied to one of the masses, but not the other, the momentum of the system is changed.

M is tracing an orbit that I think follows a path right through its center of mass. When M breaks apart, m1 would now have a center of mass that doesn't line up with the orbit it is following, which doesn't seem right. On the other hand, there was no force applied to m1 , so I can't see how it would move to line up it's center of mass with it's direction of travel, or change orbits to line its direction of travel up with its center of mass.

Orbital mechanics are fun to think about, but boy do they make my head hurt.

Can anyone help me out with this?

Physics news on Phys.org
In your post you seem to change from thinking about the centre of mass of M at the beginning, to thinking about the centre of mass of one of the components, m1, later on.
For now, I'll assume that what you really intended was to just think about how the motion of the CoM of M changes.

The answer depends on what the external force is. The capsule could move apart from the ISS if it first undocked (which doesn't change the state of motion of either body) and then emitted a jet of gas at an angle that missed the ISS but which propelled the capsule away from the ISS (somewhat diagonally).

It might at first seem that the trajectory of the CoM of M has changed, because that of the capsule has changed but that of the ISS hasn't. However that would be incorrect, because we are failing to consider the gas emitted by the capsule's thrusters, which is also part of the system. If we take that into account, we will find that the trajectory of the CoM (of ISS plus capsule plus gas) has not changed, at least in the short term. In the longer term, the divergence of capsule from ISS may call the capsule to fall to Earth, in which case the trajectory of CoM of M will have changed, by the capsule transferring angular momentum to or from the Earth.

If on the other hand the external force is nothing to do with the capsule, eg if the capsule, while undocked, were struck by a meteor, the trajectory of the CoM of M would change, as we would expect it to, since it has received an external impulse.

Likes LydiaJ
andrewkirk said:
In your post you seem to change from thinking about the centre of mass of M at the beginning, to thinking about the centre of mass of one of the components, m1, later on.
For now, I'll assume that what you really intended was to just think about how the motion of the CoM of M changes.

The answer depends on what the external force is. The capsule could move apart from the ISS if it first undocked (which doesn't change the state of motion of either body) and then emitted a jet of gas at an angle that missed the ISS but which propelled the capsule away from the ISS (somewhat diagonally).

It might at first seem that the trajectory of the CoM of M has changed, because that of the capsule has changed but that of the ISS hasn't. However that would be incorrect, because we are failing to consider the gas emitted by the capsule's thrusters, which is also part of the system. If we take that into account, we will find that the trajectory of the CoM (of ISS plus capsule plus gas) has not changed, at least in the short term. In the longer term, the divergence of capsule from ISS may call the capsule to fall to Earth, in which case the trajectory of CoM of M will have changed, by the capsule transferring angular momentum to or from the Earth.

If on the other hand the external force is nothing to do with the capsule, eg if the capsule, while undocked, were struck by a meteor, the trajectory of the CoM of M would change, as we would expect it to, since it has received an external impulse.

Thanks, Andrewkirk.

I forgot about the gas. That's the part I missed. Now it makes sense. The falling to Earth transferring angular moment was something I hadn't even thought of, but that makes sense too, although it is tough to visualize.

Related to Center of Mass of separating Orbiting Mass

1. What is the center of mass of separating orbiting mass?

The center of mass of separating orbiting mass is the point in space where the combined mass of two or more objects is evenly distributed, causing them to orbit around each other.

2. How is the center of mass determined for orbiting masses?

The center of mass is determined by the relative masses and distances of the orbiting objects. The closer an object is to the center of mass, the more it contributes to the total mass of the system.

3. Why is the center of mass important in orbital dynamics?

The center of mass is important because it helps us understand the motion and stability of orbiting objects. It also plays a critical role in calculating orbital parameters and predicting future trajectories.

4. Can the center of mass of separating orbiting masses change over time?

Yes, the center of mass can change as the relative masses and distances of the orbiting objects change. For example, if one object gains or loses mass, the center of mass will shift accordingly.

5. How does the center of mass affect the orbit of each object in the system?

The center of mass affects the orbit of each object by determining the amount of gravitational force between the objects. Objects with larger masses will have a stronger pull towards the center of mass, causing them to orbit faster.