Center of mass of non-uniform plate

In summary, finding the center of mass of a rectangular plate can be challenging if the plate is not homogeneous and has high density regions. One way to find the center of mass in 2D is to spin the plate on a slick surface or balance it over a straight edge. In 3D, it may be possible to suspend the plate and use a plumb line to locate the center of mass. If the plate has cut-outs, the center of mass may be located in one of the cut-outs.
Arun Veera
Hello Bruce .. I have problem regarding finding the center of mass of a rectangular plate practically. Also it is a geometric property i.e it mid point is the COM . but the plate is not homogeneous and high dense regions occur at the plate at some portions of the plate ... SO my COM is not at the midpoint , suggest a way to find the COM ... Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Arun Veera said:
I have problem regarding finding the center of mass of a rectangular plate practically. Also it is a geometric property i.e it mid point is the COM . but the plate is not homogeneous and high dense regions occur at the plate at some portions of the plate ... SO my COM is not at the midpoint , suggest a way to find the COM ... Thank you!

Do you need COM in all 3 dimensions of the plate, or just across the 2D plane? If just 2D, can you spin it on a slick surface long enough to mark the center of rotation?

Alternatively, you can balance it over a straight edge, at two different angles. Where the lines intersect will be the CM. Or you can hang the plate from a point near the edge and draw a line on it using a plumb line (chalked, like when you are decorating). Do this twice and the two lines will intersect on the CM.
In 3D, it's harder but could involve suspending the plate, again using a plumb line. If you suspend the plate from front and back edges, that will tell you whether the CM is actually in the plane in the centre of the two faces. It depends on how think the plate is as to whether that's relevant.

If your plate has cut-outs, it is just possible that the CM may lie actually in one of the cutouts. That would be interesting.

Related to Center of mass of non-uniform plate

1. What is the center of mass of a non-uniform plate?

The center of mass of a non-uniform plate is the point at which the entire mass of the plate is evenly distributed. It is the point at which the plate can be balanced on a single pivot without tipping over.

2. How is the center of mass of a non-uniform plate calculated?

The center of mass is calculated by dividing the plate into smaller, known shapes (such as triangles or rectangles), finding the center of mass for each shape, and then using the weighted average of these points to determine the overall center of mass for the plate.

3. Why is it important to know the center of mass of a non-uniform plate?

Knowing the center of mass is important for many reasons, such as determining the stability of the plate, predicting how it will behave when subjected to forces or when in motion, and designing structures that can support the plate without breaking.

4. How does the shape of a non-uniform plate affect its center of mass?

The shape of a non-uniform plate can greatly affect its center of mass. A more spread out or irregular shape will typically have a lower center of mass, while a more compact or symmetrical shape will have a higher center of mass.

5. Can the center of mass of a non-uniform plate change?

Yes, the center of mass of a non-uniform plate can change if the distribution of mass within the plate changes. For example, if a heavy object is added to one side of the plate, the center of mass will shift towards that side. However, for a constant shape and mass distribution, the center of mass will remain the same.