Center of mass of a slender rod with variable density

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the center of mass of a rod using the equation L*xcm = ∫xc ρ dl. The correct equation should be M*xcm = ∫xc ρ dl, where M is the mass of the rod. The mistake was dropping a constant when integrating and assuming a constant density would not affect the result.
jonjacson
Hi to everybody

Homework Statement

I´ll show the problem with a picture:

2qtac8h.jpg

Homework Equations

L[itex]\overline{x}[/itex]=∫xc ρ dl

The Attempt at a Solution

Well the total length of the rod is 1 feet, I only need to calculate the integral.

The moment xc of a differential element of mass of the rod is the distance x to the y axis, and the density is known so:

∫x * (1-x/2) dx , from 0 to 1, the result for me is:

1 * [itex]\overline{x}[/itex] = 1/3

So [itex]\overline{x}[/itex]= 1/3;

Unfortunately the result is 4/9, I can´t see where are my mistakes, maybe I´m not using the proper arm length or something.

The problem doesn´t give you any coordinate system, only the x axis, I assume that the y-axis is orthogonal, and the equation for the moments around that axis gives you the x center of mass.

I suppose that nothing would change if I had used another coordinate system, Am I right?

I assumed too that the constant ρ0 at the equation for the density would not change anything, but maybe that is a mistake.

Where are my mistakes?

Physics news on Phys.org
jonjacson said:

Homework Equations

L[itex]\overline{x}[/itex]=∫xc ρ dl
Instead of L*xcm, the left hand side should be M*xcm. Where M is the mass of the rod.

I assumed too that the constant ρ0 at the equation for the density would not change anything, but maybe that is a mistake.
You can't just drop a constant, like you did when you integrated. :wink:

Last edited:
Doc Al said:
Instead of L*xcm, the left hand side should be M*xcm. Where M is the mass of the rod.

You can't just drop a constant, like you did when you integrated. :wink:

-Ups, you are right I was used to use the equation of the centroids with constant density and I wrote the wrong equation.

-I see, they cancel after integrating on both parts of the equation.

Now I get the right result.

Thank you very much!

Related to Center of mass of a slender rod with variable density

1. What is the definition of center of mass?

The center of mass of an object is the point at which the entire mass of the object can be considered to be concentrated, and the object will balance perfectly on this point.

2. How is center of mass related to density and shape?

The center of mass of an object is affected by both its density and shape. The more mass an object has in a certain region, the closer the center of mass will be to that region. Additionally, the shape of an object can affect the distribution of its mass, thus altering the location of its center of mass.

3. What is a slender rod?

A slender rod is a long, thin object with a constant cross-sectional area. This means that the rod has a small diameter compared to its length.

4. How does variable density affect the center of mass of a slender rod?

Variable density can significantly impact the location of the center of mass of a slender rod. If the density is greater in one region, the center of mass will be closer to that region. On the other hand, if the density decreases in one region, the center of mass will move away from that region.

5. How can the center of mass of a slender rod with variable density be calculated?

The center of mass of a slender rod with variable density can be calculated by dividing the rod into small segments, determining the center of mass of each segment, and then using the weighted average of these centers of mass to find the overall center of mass of the rod.