Center of mass for earth-moon system

In summary, the distance of the center of mass of the Earth-Moon system from the center of the Earth is 4644.38 km. The second part of the problem asks how far the center of the Earth moves radially from the circular orbit around the sun during the lunar month. Using the center of mass formula and assuming a coordinate system with the Earth at the origin, the center of mass was found to be at a distance of 4644.38 km from the center of the Earth. However, this approach may be incorrect due to formatting issues on the website.
Punchlinegirl
The ratio of the mass of the Earth to the mass of the moon is 77.6. Assume that the radius of the Earth is about 6404.0 km and that the distance between the center of the Earth and the moon is 380604.0 km. Determine the distance of the center of mass of the earth-moon system from the center of the earth.
I got this.. it was 4840 km.
The second part of the problem says, The earth-moon system moves in a circular orbit around the sun. How far from the circular orbit does the center of the Earth move radially (i.e. toward or away from the sun) during the lunar month?
Since the center of mass never changes I used
4840= m1 x1 + m2 x2 / m1 + m2
4840= 77.6( x + 6404) + x / 78.6
Solving for x gave me -1482 km.. which wasn't right..
Any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Someone asked htis a few days ago, look around

I was the one that asked this a few days ago without realizing that it had a second part.. which I don't know how to do.

i think your approach is wrong

Assuming: the website isn't allowing for proper formating of the coordinate system

particle ; mass(kg) ; x(km) ; y(km)
--------------------------------------------------------------------
M_1(earth) ; 5.98x10^24 ; 0 ; 0

M_2(moon) ; 7.36x10^22 ; 3.82x10^5 ; 0

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
X_cm=((5.98x10^24kg)(0) + (7.36x10^22kg)(3.82x10^5km))/(5.98x10^24kg + 7.36x10^22kg)

X_cm= 4644.38km

Related to Center of mass for earth-moon system

What is the center of mass for the earth-moon system?

The center of mass for the earth-moon system is the point at which the system can be balanced or where the mass is evenly distributed. It is the point around which both objects orbit each other.

How is the center of mass calculated for the earth-moon system?

The center of mass is calculated by taking into account the mass and distance of each object from the point of reference. In the case of the earth-moon system, the point of reference is usually the center of the earth.

Why is the center of mass important for understanding the earth-moon system?

The center of mass is important for understanding the dynamics of the earth-moon system, such as the orbit of the moon around the earth. It helps us to understand how the two objects interact with each other and how the system behaves as a whole.

Can the center of mass for the earth-moon system change over time?

Yes, the center of mass for the earth-moon system can change over time due to factors such as the movement of tectonic plates on the earth's surface or the gravitational pull of other objects in the solar system.

How does the center of mass for the earth-moon system affect the tides on Earth?

The center of mass for the earth-moon system plays a crucial role in the formation of tides on Earth. The moon's gravitational pull on the earth creates a bulge of water on the side of the earth facing the moon, and a corresponding bulge on the opposite side. As the earth rotates, these bulges cause the tides to rise and fall.