Center of Mass for a cubical box with a missing top

In summary, the conversation was about finding the center of mass of a cubical box made of uniform metal plate. The box had an open top and an edge length of 40cm. The professor used a method involving mass moments, where the x, y, and z components for the center of mass were found first. The mass of each side was called "m" and the total mass was 5m. The center of mass for each side was then found and used to find the overall center of mass for the box.
jdawg

Homework Statement

A cubical box has been constructed from uniform metal plate of negligible thickness. The box is open at the top and has edge length L=40cm. Find (a) the x coordinate (b) the y coordinate, and (c) the z coordinate of the center of mass of the box.

Ok, so my professor already worked this problem for us, but I have no clue what she did.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

L=40 cm=0.4 m

Then she divided that by two for some reason?
Front and Back center of mass: (0.2, 0.2, 0.2)
Right and Left center of mass: (0.2, 0.2, 0.2)
Top and Bottom (top is missing): (0.2 ,0.2 , 0)

xcm=[itex]\frac{1}{5m}[/itex](2m(0.2)+2m(0.2)+m(0.2))=0.2m
ycm=[itex]\frac{1}{5m}[/itex](2m(0.2)+2m(0.2)+m(0.2))=0.2m
zcm=[itex]\frac{1}{5m}[/itex](2m(0.2)+2m(0.2)+m(0))=0.16m

I am so confused! Can someone please explain to me what she did? Is there a formula that she used? I looked in my book and the only one I found needed the mass to use it.

Physics news on Phys.org
That method involves mass moments -- so you find the x, y, and z components for the center of mass first. So for example the x moment you do:
$$\Sigma x_{i}r_{x,i} / M$$

You don't need the mass since it ends up cancelling out -- you can still use it if you call the mass of each side ##m##, so then the total mass is ##5m##. That looks like the ##\frac{1}{5m}## in what you put down.

Also, you can reduce each side to their own center of masses by saying the center of mass is at the center, and then using that to find the center of mass of all of the sides.

Ok, thanks so much! Great explanation :)

Related to Center of Mass for a cubical box with a missing top

What is the definition of "Center of Mass"?

The center of mass is a point within a body or system that moves as if all the mass were concentrated at that single point and all external forces were applied at that point.

How is the center of mass for a cubical box with a missing top calculated?

The center of mass for a cubical box with a missing top can be calculated by finding the average of the x, y, and z coordinates of all the points that make up the box. This will give the coordinates of the center of mass.

Does the missing top of the cubical box affect the position of the center of mass?

Yes, the missing top does affect the position of the center of mass. The center of mass will be higher and closer to the remaining faces of the box, since there is less mass in the missing top section.

How does the distribution of mass within the cubical box affect the center of mass?

The distribution of mass within the cubical box will affect the center of mass. If the mass is evenly distributed, the center of mass will be in the center of the box. If the mass is concentrated on one side, the center of mass will be closer to that side.

Why is calculating the center of mass important in physics?

Calculating the center of mass is important in physics because it helps determine the balance and stability of an object. It is also used in the study of motion and rotation, as the center of mass is the point around which an object will rotate in a uniform gravitational field.