Center of Mass constant with near-correct attempt

In summary, the wagon wheel has a constant c that is I/MR2. The constant c is .356 for this wagon wheel.
jamesbiomed

Homework Statement

A wagon wheel is made entirely of wood. Its components consist of a rim, 16 spokes, and a hub. The rim has mass 5.1 kg, outer radius 0.90 m, and inner radius 0.86 m. The hub is a solid cylinder with mass 3.1 kg and radius 0.12 m. The spokes are thin rods of mass 1.1 kg that extend from the hub to the inner side of the rim. Determine the constant
c = I/MR2 for this wagon wheel.

Hi folks, this will be my last problem, promise.

Homework Equations

I for hub=> I for solid cylinder=> 1/2 M R^2
I for wheel=> I for thick hollow cylinder or wheel (I THINK...) =1/2 M (R1^2+R2^2)
Otherwise, I for hollow cylinder or hoop is MR^2
I for thin rod is 1/12 M h^2. These are rotating about their end though, so by parallel axis theorem, their moment is : 1/12Mh^2+M(h/2)^2

I(net)=cMR^2
c=I/MR^2

So there you have it.

The Attempt at a Solution

The correct answer is .356
My answer is .344

Here's what I did:

For Hub:1/2(3.1)*.12^2=.002232
For Wheel: 1/2(5.1)(.90^2+.86^2)=3.95148
For thin rods: 16 *{(1/12)(1.1)(.74)^2 + (.74/2)^2(1.1)}=3.212586

Then added them all to get 7.1832
Then divided them by their combined mass (16*1.1+5.1+3.1)=25.8 and the entire radius^2
so 7.1832/(25.8*.9^2)=.344

I've tried with less sig figs, and it doesn't work. There's something off, but its small. I have a feeling a quick once-over might spot it. Many thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I should note, I've given it many, many once-overs myself and can't find it. I don't think its alebraic, I think its conceptual, somewhere

Hi jamesbiomed.

Are you sure the spokes are rotating about an end? Aren't they rotating about the center of the wheel? But the spokes do not extend all the way to the center.

Last edited:
Tsny, I think you're right. That makes a lot of sense, and changes h. Thanks for the help!

Not h, but d distance during parallel axis theorem.

Darn it, still off.. this time a little high.

I added radius 12 to the distance in the P.a.th. Was that the correct adjustment?

I think that's right. I get that d = .49 m for the parallel axis theorem.

right, that's what I'm getting. Then I'm still using .74 for the h in 1/12mh^2.

So even though that needed fixing, there was something else. I just reworked the whole thing start to finish and still got the same answer.

For the R in 1/MR^2, would you say that's .9?

It could be a glitch in the HW program, so I might give up soon

Not to be pessimistic or anything, but that's all I can find

I don't see anything wrong. I get an answer of .43 for c.

That's what I get too. Not sure how they're getting their's. I feel good about the process, so I'll just run it by my prof in the morning. Thanks for the help.

OK. Good luck with it.

Related to Center of Mass constant with near-correct attempt

What is the "Center of Mass constant"?

The "Center of Mass constant" refers to the mathematical concept of the average position of the mass of an object or system, which remains constant regardless of the location of the object or the forces acting upon it.

How is the Center of Mass constant determined?

The Center of Mass constant is determined by taking into account the individual masses and their respective positions within a given system. By using the formula M1x1 + M2x2 + … + Mnxn / M1 + M2 + … + Mn, the Center of Mass constant can be calculated.

What is the significance of the Center of Mass constant?

The Center of Mass constant is a crucial concept in physics and engineering as it helps in predicting the motion of objects and systems. It also allows for the analysis of forces and moments acting on an object or system.

How does the Center of Mass constant change with a near-correct attempt?

The Center of Mass constant remains constant even with a near-correct attempt as long as the masses and their positions within the system remain the same. However, a slight variation in the calculation can result in a small change in the Center of Mass constant.

What are some real-world applications of the Center of Mass constant?

The Center of Mass constant is used in various fields, such as aerospace engineering, robotics, and sports, to analyze and predict the motion and stability of objects and systems. It is also essential in designing structures and vehicles to ensure proper balance and stability.