Center of Mass boat distance from shore what am I doing wrong?

In summary: Therefore, the displacement should be subtracted from the distance from the shore, not added. The correct answer is 35.7 - 3.01 = 32.69 m.
sweetpete28
Problem: A symmetrical rowboat, mass M = 116 kg, length L = 6.89 m, points toward the shore. A man, mass m = 90 kg, stands in the back of the boat, distance d = 35.7 m from the shore. If the man now walks to the front of the boat, how far will he be from the shore?

Here is what I did:

Selected 0 as origin at shoreline:

Center of mass when man is in back of boat = [(90)(6.89) + (116)(3.445)] / (90 + 116) = 4.95 meters

When man is in front of boat he is distance d from shore and boat is distance d + 3.445:
Center of mass = [90d + 116(d + 3.445)] / (90 + 116) = 4.95
d = 3.01; so when man moves from back to front displacement is 3.01 m

So distance from shore is 35.7 + 3.01 = 38.7 m. But this answer is wrong. So what am I doing wrong?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
sweetpete28 said:
Problem: A symmetrical rowboat, mass M = 116 kg, length L = 6.89 m, points toward the shore. A man, mass m = 90 kg, stands in the back of the boat, distance d = 35.7 m from the shore. If the man now walks to the front of the boat, how far will he be from the shore?

Here is what I did:

Selected 0 as origin at shoreline:

Center of mass when man is in back of boat = [(90)(6.89) + (116)(3.445)] / (90 + 116) = 4.95 meters

When man is in front of boat he is distance d from shore and boat is distance d + 3.445:
Center of mass = [90d + 116(d + 3.445)] / (90 + 116) = 4.95
d = 3.01; so when man moves from back to front displacement is 3.01 m

So distance from shore is 35.7 + 3.01 = 38.7 m. But this answer is wrong. So what am I doing wrong?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The man was walking towards the shore, not away from the shore, so he will be closer that 35.7, not further.

Related to Center of Mass boat distance from shore what am I doing wrong?

1. What is the center of mass of a boat?

The center of mass of a boat is the point at which the weight of the boat is evenly distributed in all directions. It is the point where the boat will balance perfectly.

2. How can I determine the center of mass of my boat?

The center of mass of a boat can be determined by finding the point where the boat balances perfectly on a single axis. This can be done by suspending the boat from a string or placing it on a balance and gradually adjusting until it is balanced.

3. Why is it important to know the center of mass of a boat?

Knowing the center of mass of a boat is important for maintaining stability and preventing capsizing. It also helps with navigation and steering, as the center of mass is a key factor in how the boat moves and responds to external forces.

4. How does the distance from shore affect the center of mass of a boat?

The distance from shore does not directly affect the center of mass of a boat. However, factors such as wind, waves, and currents can affect the boat's position and ultimately its center of mass. It is important to consider these factors when determining the center of mass and navigating the boat.

5. What could I be doing wrong if my boat's center of mass is not balanced?

If the center of mass of your boat is not balanced, it could be due to uneven distribution of weight or improper loading of cargo. It could also be caused by external factors such as wind or waves. It is important to carefully distribute weight and regularly check the boat's center of mass to ensure stability and safe navigation.