Center of mass after particles move

In summary: I think that this will help me better visualize the problem and solve it more efficiently. Thank you again for your help.In summary, a 90 kg block 1 and 360 kg block 2 are on opposite ends of a 300 kg slab of length 12.0 m on a frozen lake with no friction. Block 2 moves 4.0 m towards block 1 while block 1 moves 2.50 m towards block 2. To find the distance the slab moves, we can first consider the problem in the slab's frame of reference and locate the horizontal center of mass for the two blocks. Then, repeating the process with the blocks in their new locations, we can determine the new center of mass
codems5

Homework Statement

a 90 kg block 1 and 360 kg block 2 are on opposite ends of a 300 kg slab of length 12.0 m which is on a frozen lake. assume no friction between slab and ice. block 2 moves 4.0 m towards block 1 while block 1 moves 2.50 m towards block 2. how far does the slab move?

Homework Equations

c.m.= (Ʃmr)/Ʃm

The Attempt at a Solution

i am kind of lost on how to approach the problem. i know the center of mass does not change because there are only internal forces. i don't know how the motion of the blocks relates to the motion of the slab. any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
codems5 said:

Homework Statement

a 90 kg block 1 and 360 kg block 2 are on opposite ends of a 300 kg slab of length 12.0 m which is on a frozen lake. assume no friction between slab and ice. block 2 moves 4.0 m towards block 1 while block 1 moves 2.50 m towards block 2. how far does the slab move?

Homework Equations

c.m.= (Ʃmr)/Ʃm

The Attempt at a Solution

i am kind of lost on how to approach the problem. i know the center of mass does not change because there are only internal forces. i don't know how the motion of the blocks relates to the motion of the slab. any help would be appreciated.

A method that I find works for me with this sort of problem is to first consider things in the slab's frame of reference -- ignore the ice for now. Draw a picture showing the blocks in their initial position on the slab. If you set an origin at the center of the slab it will coincide with the slab's center of mass, which is handy since the slab will then disappear from the numerator of the center of mass calculations (because the distance of the slab's center of mass from the origin will always be zero). Now locate the horizontal center of mass for the two remaining objects in this coordinate system.

Then redraw the picture with the blocks in their new locations and repeat the operation, locating the new center of mass in the slab frame of reference.

Since, as you've stated, the overall center of mass of the system can't move with respect to the ice frame of reference, then the slab must have shifted by the distance between the centers of mass you calculated in the slab's frame.

Last edited:
thank you very much for your help. i thought of setting the reference point in the center of the slab. However, I never thought of isolating the slab from the ice. I like this method far more than how I have been taught

Related to Center of mass after particles move

1. What is the center of mass?

The center of mass is a point in a system of particles where the total mass of the system is concentrated. It is the average position of all the particles in the system.

2. How is the center of mass calculated?

The center of mass is calculated by finding the weighted average of the positions of all the particles in the system. This is done by multiplying the mass of each particle by its position and dividing the sum by the total mass of the system.

3. Is the center of mass always located within the physical boundaries of the system?

No, the center of mass can be located outside the physical boundaries of the system if there are particles with negative mass or if the particles are not evenly distributed.

4. Can the center of mass change as particles move?

Yes, the center of mass can change as particles move. This is because the position and mass of each particle affect the overall position of the center of mass.

5. Why is the center of mass important in physics?

The center of mass is important in physics because it helps us understand the overall motion of a system. It allows us to simplify complex systems and analyze their motion as if all the mass is concentrated at one point.