Center Frequency and Bandwith of Bandpass Filter?

In summary: H(ω)| = [(jω)/(3jw + (1-ω2))][(-jω)/(-3jw + (1-ω2))]|H| = ω2/(7ω2 + ω4 + 1)d|H|/dω = 2ω(7ω2 + ω4 + 1)-1 -ω2(7ω2 + ω4 + 1)-2(14ω + 4ω3) = 0Simplifying gives ω = 1. Is this the center frequency?|H(1)| = 1/9 Is this the bandwidth?Yes, that looks correct.
Gwozdzilla

Homework Statement

Determine the center frequency and bandwidth of the bandpass filter.
VRYp3g4.png

Homework Equations

center frequency of bandpass filter = ωc occurs when the magnitude of H = 1

H = V0/Vs

Center frequency occurs when Im(Z) = 0
Zc = 1/(jωC) = 1/s
ZL = jωL
ZR = R

I don't know a formula for finding bandwidth.

The Attempt at a Solution

Zseries = 1 + 1/s
Zll = ((1/s)(1 + 1/s))/(2/s + 1)
Zeq = 1 + Zll
Simplifying gives...
Zeq = (1 + 3s + s2)/(2s + s2)

Vs = IZeq
Vll = IZll
V0 = I2(1Ω)
Vseries = I2Zseries = Vll

V0Zseries = Vll = IZll

V0Zseries = (VsZll)/Zeq

V0/Vseries = Zll/(ZeqZseries)

Plugging in values from above and simplifying gives...

V0/Vseries = s/(s + 3s + 1) = H

s2 = -ω2

How do I find the magnitude of H? What is a bandwidth?

Attachments

• 2015-05-15_01-14-20.png
    2015-05-15_01-14-20.png
    21.1 KB · Views: 767
Physics news on Phys.org
First thing you should do is label the components R1, C1, C2, R2 left to right. Then work with these symbols.

Then: your H(s) can't be right since it has gain = 1/4 at high frequencies whereas the network H(s) must have zero gain there, thanks to C1.

Hello GZ,

Took me a while too to untangle this. In the mean time Rudy chipped in, but here's my 2 cents as well:

It would have been easier for me (and probably for others too) if you would have told us what you mean with the various symbols.

Up to Vseries= ... I agree. Then V0 Zseries=Vll x (1Ω) otherwise the dimensions don't fit. But numerically you're still good.

V0/Vseries = Zll x (1Ω)/(ZeqZseries) is something you could have gotten more straightforward as

V0/V|| = 1Ω / Zseries multiplied with

V||/Vs = Zll / Zeq

The typo that distracted Rudy demonstrates your derivation is a bit complex (too many Z, too many inversions and then inverting again). Never mind.

Magnitude of H follows from ##\sqrt{ H^{\displaystyle ^*} H }## as with all complex numbers.

(At first, LaTeX let me down here, with ##H^{\displaystyle ^*}## I mean the complex conjugate of ##H## )Bandwith is ##| \omega_1 - \omega_2 |## where ##H^2(\omega_{1,2}) = H^2_{max}/2##

Last edited:
Likes Gwozdzilla
So from my value for H = s/(s2 + 3s + 1), I can convert back to using jω:

H = (jω)/(-ω2 + 3jω + 1)
H = (jω)/(3jω + (1-ω2))

The complex conjugate of the denominator is then 3jω - (1-ω2). I can multiply the numerator and denominator by this and simplify to get:
H = ((ω2-1)(jω) - 3ω2)/(-9ω2 -1)

√(H*H) = 1 → H*H = 1

((ω2-1)(jω) - 3ω2)/(-9ω2 -1) = 1
2-1)(jω) - 3ω2 = -9ω2 -1
Simplifying gives the quadratic equation:
(6 + j)ω2 - jω + 1 = 0
The quadratic equation gives the result:
ω = -.0219 -.331j

I don't think I did that right. Did I determine the complex conjugate incorrectly?

So for the bandwidth, am I supposed to find dH/dω = 0, and plug that ω back into find Hmax, then solve Hmax2/2 or am I misunderstanding?

Gwozdzilla said:
So from my value for H = s/(s2 + 3s + 1), I can convert back to using jω:
H = (jω)/(-ω2 + 3jω + 1)
H = (jω)/(3jω + (1-ω2))
The complex conjugate of the denominator is then 3jω - (1-ω2). I can multiply the numerator and denominator by this and simplify to get:
H = ((ω2-1)(jω) - 3ω2)/(-9ω2 -1)
√(H*H) = 1 → H*H = 1
((ω2-1)(jω) - 3ω2)/(-9ω2 -1) = 1
2-1)(jω) - 3ω2 = -9ω2 -1
Simplifying gives the quadratic equation:
(6 + j)ω2 - jω + 1 = 0
The quadratic equation gives the result:
ω = -.0219 -.331j
I don't think I did that right. Did I determine the complex conjugate incorrectly?
You never performed HH*. When you multiply numerator & denominator of H(jw) by the cc of the denominator you wind up with the original H(jw), not the cc
So for the bandwidth, am I supposed to find dH/dω = 0, and plug that ω back into find Hmax, then solve Hmax2/2 or am I misunderstanding?
You compute |H| = √|H(jw) H*(jw)|, which is the magnitude of H(jw) and is a real number.
You can then set d|H|/dw = 0 to solve for w of |H|. Plug into |H| and you get |Hmax|. Then set |H| = 1/√2 Hmax and solve for w again. This time you get two w. Rest is as BvU stated.

Last edited:
Likes Gwozdzilla
How do I find the complex conjugate of something in the form of (jω)/(3jω + (1-ω2))? I don't see how to simplify it into an x + iy form.

Is the complex conjugate (-jω)/(3jω - (1-ω2))?
If this is the complex conjugate then I get...

√[(jω)/(3jω + (1-ω2))][(-jω)/(3jω - (1-ω2))] = 1

[(jω)/(3jω + (1-ω2))][(-jω)/(3jω - (1-ω2))] = 1
Simplifying gives...
ω4 + 8ω2 + 1 = 0 which only has imaginary roots, so it's probably also wrong.

No need to simplify. Just replace every instance of j by ##-##j

Likes Gwozdzilla
That's the idea. (##d|H|\over d\omega## you mean, of course ... :wink:).

Okay, so when I replace every instance of j by -j, the complex conjugate is (-jω)/(-3jω + (1-ω2)).

[(jω)/(3jω + (1-ω2))][(-jω)/(-3jω + (1-ω2))] = 12

This simplifies to 0 = ω4 + 6ω2 + 1
so ω = ±j(.414) and ω = ±j(2.414)

Is this part correct?

Gwozdzilla said:
Okay, so when I replace every instance of j by -j, the complex conjugate is (-jω)/(-3jω + (1-ω2)).

[(jω)/(3jω + (1-ω2))][(-jω)/(-3jω + (1-ω2))] = 12
Why are you setting |H|2 = 1?

rude man said:
Why are you setting |H|2 = 1?

I thought that a bandpass filter was defined as having its |H(ωc)| = 1. Is this not the case?

Check it out ! You already have an expression for ## |H(\omega)|##

Gwozdzilla said:
I thought that a bandpass filter was defined as having its |H(ωc)| = 1. Is this not the case?
No it isn't. You need to go d|H|/dw = 0, solve for w, replace in |H|.

Likes Gwozdzilla
|H(ω)| = [(jω)/(3jw + (1-ω2))][(-jω)/(-3jw + (1-ω2))]
|H| = ω2/(7ω2 + ω4 + 1)

d|H|/dω = 2ω(7ω2 + ω4 + 1)-12(7ω2 + ω4 + 1)-2(14ω + 4ω3) = 0
Simplifying gives ω = 1. Is this the center frequency?

|H(1)| = 1/9 Is this the bandwidth?

Gwozdzilla said:
|H(ω)| = [(jω)/(3jw + (1-ω2))][(-jω)/(-3jw + (1-ω2))]
|H| = ω2/(7ω2 + ω4 + 1)

d|H|/dω = 2ω(7ω2 + ω4 + 1)-12(7ω2 + ω4 + 1)-2(14ω + 4ω3) = 0
Simplifying gives ω = 1. Is this the center frequency?
Yes, if you did the math correctly. I did not check it.
|H(1)| = 1/9 Is this the bandwidth?
No. |H|(1) = max. gain.
I did not check your math but your approach is correct up to then.
Follow what I said in post 5 near the end to get the bandwidth.

|H(ω)| = ω2/(7ω2 + ω4 + 1) = (1/√2)Hmax = 1/(9√2)

Solving for ω gives ω = ±2.355 and ±.425

Bandwidth = B = ω2 - ω1 = 2.78 or 1.93

Is this correct?

Gwozdzilla said:
|H(ω)| = ω2/(7ω2 + ω4 + 1) = (1/√2)Hmax = 1/(9√2)

Solving for ω gives ω = ±2.355 and ±.425
Bandwidth = B = ω2 - ω1 = 2.78 or 1.93

Is this correct?
ω cannot be negative, at least not for you now.
Otherwise, looks right if you did the math right.
Check #1: does |H| → 0 as ω → 0? Yes.
Check #2. does |H| → 0 as ω → ∞? Yes.
Check #3: does √(ω1ω2) = ω0 = 1? √[(2.355)(0.425)] = 1. Yes. (This test rests on what I state below in my last sentence. So you most probably got the mid-band and corner frequencies right.

EDIT: But it's not sure. What you can say is that if √(ω1ω2) is not = ωmax then you got something wrong. In other words, it's a necessity but not a sufficiency test.)

So, H is a bandpass, since gain is zero at DC (ω=0) and at arbitrarily high frequencies, and gain > 0 somewhere inbetween.
But you don't have the right answer for bandwidth. Bandwidth is the width of the passband around the peak, with rolloff frequencies at gain = |Hmax|/√2 on either side of the max. frequency ω0. If you're using log paper (for the x axis), the two points w1 and w2 are equidistant from w0. ω0 is the geometric mean between ω1 and ω2. So take another shot at bandwidth.

Last edited:
BvU said:
Bandwith is ##| \omega_1 - \omega_2 |## where ##H^2(\omega_{1,2}) = H^2_{max}/2##

If I know that ω1 and ω2 are correct by calculating that √ω1ω2 = 1, and I know that I should take the positive values of ω1,2, then why isn't the bandwidth = |ω12| = |.425-2.355| = |-1.93| = 1.93?

Gwozdzilla said:
If I know that ω1 and ω2 are correct by calculating that √ω1ω2 = 1, and I know that I should take the positive values of ω1,2, then why isn't the bandwidth = |ω12| = |.425-2.355| = |-1.93| = 1.93?
I said ω is always > 0 but you still got the same right answer: bandwidth = 2.355 - 0.425 = 1.93 rad/s.

BTW look again at my post #17. I edited it a bit.

Last edited:

Related to Center Frequency and Bandwith of Bandpass Filter?

What is the center frequency of a bandpass filter?

The center frequency of a bandpass filter is the frequency at which the filter has its maximum response, or where the signal passes through with minimal attenuation.

How is the center frequency determined for a bandpass filter?

The center frequency of a bandpass filter is typically determined by the design specifications and can be calculated using the formula fc = √(f1 × f2), where fc is the center frequency and f1 and f2 are the lower and upper cutoff frequencies, respectively.

What is the bandwidth of a bandpass filter?

The bandwidth of a bandpass filter is the range of frequencies between the lower and upper cutoff frequencies, where the filter allows signals to pass through with minimal attenuation.

How is the bandwidth of a bandpass filter calculated?

The bandwidth of a bandpass filter can be calculated using the formula BW = f2 - f1, where BW is the bandwidth and f1 and f2 are the lower and upper cutoff frequencies, respectively.

What factors affect the center frequency and bandwidth of a bandpass filter?

The center frequency and bandwidth of a bandpass filter are primarily affected by the filter's design parameters, such as the type of filter, the values of its components, and the frequency range of the input signal. Environmental factors, such as temperature and humidity, can also have a small impact on the center frequency and bandwidth.