Cells and their membrane-the lock and key

• Thread starter TheSkyKing
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cells Lock
In summary, the man who didn't get AIDS from HIV had a mutated receptor on his T-cells that prevented the virus from attacking his immune system.
TheSkyKing
Cells and their membranes-the lock and key

So in biology we were discussing cell membranes and the effects and processes viruses impose on the cell. Take lytic infection for example-in basic terms attaching to the cell, using one of the cells protein channels in the phospholipid bilayer and injecting its genetic material thus using the cell as a factory to make copies. Well this one man, whose name I shall not mention mainly because I do not remember, had the HIV virus but never got AIDS. The reason being because the man had no protein channels in his cells. Therefore there was no way of getting the genetic material into the cell. Leave diffusion across the membrane out of the question since RNA and DNA are not selectively permeable to it. And more interesting is how he lived. How were larger molecules and such transported in and out of the cell without the integeral membrane proteins? Maybe proteins and larger molecules could be exported and imported through exo and endo cytosis but other than that I could not see how he lived. That, if anyone is willing to answer, is an answer I am still looking for.

Last edited:
Biology news on Phys.org
You're right, this is absurd. I'm not familiar with specific HIV recognition sites or channels but perhaps the one targeted by it was sufficiently mutated in this person to block it. I am not sure how it would do that and not block whatever it was supposed to do though.

HIV is a retrovirus that hijacks your immune system's cellular machinery. On the HIV viron are specific glycoproteins that bind to receptor proteins (eg. CD4 receptor) on T-lymphocytes. After the binding of the glycoprotein and receptor occures, penetration occurs and the HIV loads all of its cellular contents into the T-cell (viral RNA, reverse transcriptase, integrase). The reverse transcriptase starts to make a cDNA template from the viral RNA, and integrase integrates the viral DNA into the DNA of the T-cell. The infected T-cell that reproduces its DNA as if nothing happened, hence replicating viral DNA. After transcription we get more viral RNA and they pinch off the T-cell as new virons and start to affect other cells.

AIDS develops when the HIV virons affect a critical level of T-cells in your body, compromising your immune system and causing it to collapse. The man who didn't get AIDS from HIV could have a mutated receptor on his T-cells, or not have a receptor at all (latter not likely). The man could still have normal transportation of stuff in and out of his cells, but HIV could not affect his immune system because of a faulty receptor.

K.

Related to Cells and their membrane-the lock and key

What is the purpose of the cell membrane?

The cell membrane, also known as the plasma membrane, serves as a barrier between the cell and its external environment. It controls what enters and exits the cell, maintains the cell's shape, and provides protection for the cell's internal components.

What is the "lock and key" model of the cell membrane?

The "lock and key" model is a way of describing how substances move in and out of the cell through the membrane. Just like a key can only fit into a specific lock, certain molecules can only pass through specific channels or receptors in the membrane.

How do cells communicate through their membranes?

Cells can communicate through their membranes in a variety of ways. One common method is through the use of receptor proteins on the surface of the membrane, which can receive signals from other cells or molecules and trigger a response inside the cell.

What is the role of cholesterol in the cell membrane?

Cholesterol helps to regulate the fluidity and stability of the cell membrane. It can also play a role in cell signaling and the formation of lipid rafts, which are important for certain cellular processes.

What are some factors that can affect the permeability of the cell membrane?

The permeability of the cell membrane can be affected by a variety of factors, including temperature, pH, and the presence of certain molecules or ions. Changes in these factors can alter the shape and function of the membrane proteins, affecting their ability to regulate what enters and exits the cell.