Cell Processing: Price & Date for PCs?

In summary, the conversation discusses the new cell processing technology that will be used for the PS3 and its potential availability and price range for regular computers. It is speculated that the chip will be available for PCs soon and IBM has announced plans to sell workstations with the chip starting later this year. However, it is noted that the chip is not a true "supercomputer" and its capabilities may change in the future. The conversation also expresses excitement and interest in the potential abilities of the new technology.
Tom McCurdy
I have been reading about the new cell processing that would be used for the PS3. I was wondering when it would be available for regular computers and what price range you think it would be in. I was hoping to build a very nice computer before I go off to college next year, but I am kind of against investing in a computer right before the biggest processor revolution in a long time. Does anyone know any price/date it may be released?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Price range: Dont Know
Availablity: Soon, I read on /. that they were looking to have these chips in HDTV this year, and therefore will probably be in PC's soon since both SOny and IBMare working on the project

From the BBC news article:

And while marketing speak describes the chip as a "supercomputer" - it remains significantly slower than the slowest computer on the list of the world's top 500 supercomputers.

Why do they put technologically-illiterate journalists on assignments about technology?

Of course, a single chip is not going to compete against any of the world's top 500 massively-parallel, 8,000+ processor behemoths. Since when did anyone expect their PlayStation console to compete with the greatest computing machines ever built by mankind?!

As of 2002, the US Department of Defense currently defines the word "supercomputer" as any machine capable of at least 190 GTOPS (billions of theoretical operations per second). This single chip beats that by about 30%. The term "supercomputer" is quite a bit misleading -- a supercomputer is not necessarily one of the world's most capable computers. Instead, a supercomputer is any machine which has sufficient capability to make the Department of Defense wary of allowing its possession by hostile countries. The bar continues to be raised as technology advances. The export rules are simply to protect an American technological lead of a few years over its potential enemies. It's likely that, in a year or two, the Department of Defense will up the ante, and this Cell chip will no longer be classified as a "supercomputer."

- Warren

I highly doubt it'll be on any windows based pc's.

chroot said:
As of 2002, the US Department of Defense currently defines the word "supercomputer" as any machine capable of at least 190 GTOPS (billions of theoretical operations per second). This single chip beats that by about 30%.

I want. Bad.

Just the ability to run ten calculations simultaneously would be huge for me. Absolutley huge. I want one.

Last edited:
Wouldn't this greatly help with things such as rendering? or media related projects?

Related to Cell Processing: Price & Date for PCs?

1. What is cell processing and how does it relate to PCs?

Cell processing is the method of manipulating and analyzing cells in a laboratory setting. In regards to PCs, this typically involves using software or algorithms to analyze data collected from cells, such as gene expression or protein levels.

2. How much does cell processing software for PCs typically cost?

The price for cell processing software for PCs can vary greatly depending on the specific software and its capabilities. However, on average, it can range from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars.

3. Are there any free or open-source options for cell processing software for PCs?

Yes, there are some free or open-source options for cell processing software for PCs, such as ImageJ, CellProfiler, and FlowJo. These can be great options for those on a tight budget or looking to try out different software before investing in a paid option.

4. What factors should be considered when deciding on a cell processing software for PCs?

Some important factors to consider when choosing a cell processing software for PCs include the specific needs and capabilities of your research, the user-friendliness and compatibility of the software, and the level of support and updates provided by the software company.

5. Is there a recommended date for when to purchase cell processing software for PCs?

There is no specific recommended date for purchasing cell processing software for PCs. It is best to assess your research needs and budget, and then research and compare different options to find the best fit for your laboratory. It is also important to periodically check for updates and new software releases to ensure you have the most up-to-date and efficient tools for your research.