Cell Cycle & Cancer - Cyclin/Cdks

In summary, the conversation is discussing how cancer affects the cell cycle. It is questioned whether cancer speeds up individual phases of mitosis or just increases the number of times mitosis is performed. It is also mentioned that cyclins and cdks play a role in cancer cells, potentially causing mitosis to repeat without stopping. The specific phase in the cell cycle where these cancer-inducing cyclins and cdks are found is also discussed.
hydralisks

Homework Statement

General questions about how cancer affects the cell cycle...

1) Does cancer actually speed up the individual phases of mitosis (prophase, metaphase, anaphase, telophase) ... ie metaphase occurs 100x sooner following prophase in a cancer cell compared to a normal cell? or does cancer just increase the number of times mitosis as a whole is performed?

2) Also, it seems that cyclins and cdks play a great role in cancer cells. From my understanding, the cyclin and/or cdk becomes defective and is used too much, causing mitosis to repeat without stop. Is this correct?

3) If I am correct in (2), is there a specific phase in the cell cycle where these cancer inducing cyclins and cdks are found? Are these cyclins and cdks only found in the interphase? Only in G1? Only in mitosis? Throughout all of interphase and mitosis? Only in G2? etc etc

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You have to show your attempts to receive help. This is a forum policy.

Borek said:
You have to show your attempts to receive help. This is a forum policy.

My attempt at understanding the question is actually meshed into my question above. I am aware of the 3 part guideline enforced on this forum but it is a little difficult to split my question and attempted understanding of it into two different blocks of words

Thanks!

Related to Cell Cycle & Cancer - Cyclin/Cdks

What is the Cell Cycle?

The cell cycle is the process by which cells divide and replicate. It is a series of stages that a cell goes through in order to grow and divide into two identical daughter cells. The cell cycle is essential for growth, development, and repair of the body.

What is Cancer?

Cancer is a disease characterized by uncontrolled cell growth and division. It occurs when normal cells undergo genetic mutations that cause them to grow and divide uncontrollably, forming a mass of abnormal cells called a tumor. Cancer can spread to other parts of the body and interfere with normal bodily functions.

What are Cyclin/Cdks?

Cyclin/Cdks (Cyclin-dependent kinases) are a family of proteins that regulate the progression of the cell cycle. They work by attaching to and activating other proteins called cyclins, which help control the cell cycle by signaling when it is time for the cell to progress to the next stage. When the cell cycle is disrupted, it can lead to uncontrolled cell growth and potential development of cancer.

How do Cyclin/Cdks contribute to cancer development?

In normal cells, Cyclin/Cdks help regulate the cell cycle and ensure that cells divide at the right time and in the right manner. However, mutations in these proteins can disrupt their function and lead to uncontrolled cell growth, which can contribute to the development of cancer. Additionally, certain types of cancer can overexpress Cyclin/Cdks, causing abnormal cell division and potentially contributing to tumor growth.

Can Cyclin/Cdks be targeted for cancer treatment?

Yes, Cyclin/Cdks have been identified as potential targets for cancer treatment. Researchers are currently studying ways to inhibit the function of these proteins in cancer cells, either through targeted therapies or by using drugs that can block their activity. These treatments have shown promising results in clinical trials and may provide new avenues for cancer treatment in the future.