Celestial Mass Accretion Spectrum

In summary, the conversation suggests the idea of developing a celestial mass accretion spectrum, which would place celestial objects of a given mass into a spectrum to define what a planet, star, etc. is. This spectrum could plot size as a function of a logarithmic mass scale and could be similar to the Hertzsprung-Russell diagram. Suggestions are made for including different types of celestial objects such as asteroids, rocky planets, gas planets, brown dwarfs, white dwarfs, stars, neutron stars, galaxies, and black holes. There is also mention of potential evolutionary trails and limits for each type of object. One person raises concerns about the amount of data that would need to be incorporated into the spectrum.
Oriako
Hello,
Over the past few weeks I've been interested in the idea of developing a celestial mass accretion spectrum, or in other words, a spectrum that places celestial objects of a given mass as being part of a band of that spectrum. This spectrum would help give definitions on what a planet is, what a star is, etc. and I'm sure could be a noticeable and useful landmark for astronomy just as the electromagnetic spectrum is in physics. The spectrum could plot the size (diameter) as a function of a logarithmic mass scale from left to right. Evolutionary trails could also be made to illustrate the lives of these objects as some will increase/decrease in mass in a certain way throughout their lives. It could be similar in fashion to the Hertzsprung-Russell diagram, except more expansive in its explanatory reach.

-Asteroids-Rocky Planets-Gas Planets-Brown Dwarfs-White Dwarfs-Star-Neutron Star-Galaxy-Black Holes, etc.

And there could be a general range that each of these fit into and possibly a limit to each could be calculated one day, just as the Chandrasekhar limit was calculated.

Thoughts, Comments?

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Nice idea but I always thought that significant mass accretes only in say : black holes,WD interaction in type1a supernovae and as suggested in the Accretion induced collapse.

I am not that much of an expert ,going to start my undergraduate at the end of this year.Correct me if I am mistaken.
I personally think that there is too much of data to be incorporated into a lone graph.

Related to Celestial Mass Accretion Spectrum

1. What is celestial mass accretion spectrum?

Celestial mass accretion spectrum is a term used to describe the distribution of matter that accumulates onto a celestial body, such as a star or planet, over time. This process is often seen in the formation of new stars and the growth of planets within a solar system.

2. How is the celestial mass accretion spectrum measured?

The celestial mass accretion spectrum is measured using a variety of techniques, including observations of infrared and radio emissions, as well as the analysis of dust and gas particles in the surrounding environment. The spectrum can also be inferred from the properties and composition of the celestial body itself.

3. What factors influence the celestial mass accretion spectrum?

The celestial mass accretion spectrum is influenced by a number of factors, including the size and mass of the celestial body, the presence of a surrounding disk or envelope of gas and dust, and the gravitational interactions with nearby objects. The age and composition of the celestial body also play a role in the spectrum.

4. How does the celestial mass accretion spectrum impact the formation of celestial bodies?

The celestial mass accretion spectrum plays a crucial role in the formation of celestial bodies. It provides insight into the amount and distribution of material available for the growth of a celestial body, as well as the rate at which it is accumulating matter. This spectrum also helps scientists understand the processes involved in the formation of planets, stars, and other objects in the universe.

5. Can the celestial mass accretion spectrum change over time?

Yes, the celestial mass accretion spectrum can change over time. As a celestial body grows and evolves, the amount and distribution of material that it is accreting may change, leading to a different spectrum. Additionally, interactions with other objects in the surrounding environment can also impact the spectrum over time.