Ceiling Fan Blade Acceleration and Angle Calculation

In summary: You use the average angular acceleration when solving for θ. You need to find the angular velocity at a given point in time.
eiriyuki
1. The blades of a ceiling fan have a radius of 0.318 m and are rotating about a fixed axis with an angular velocity of +1.48 rad/s. When the switch on the fan is turned to a higher speed, the blades acquire an angular acceleration of +2.22 rad/s2. After 0.394 s have elapsed since the switch was reset, what is (a) the total acceleration (in m/s2) of a point on the tip of a blade and (b) the angle between the total acceleration and the centripetal acceleration (See Figure)?

http://edugen.wiley.com/edugen/courses/crs2216/art/qb/qu/c08/w1590int.gif

Homework Equations

I tried using equation [tex]\omega[/tex][tex]_{2}[/tex] = [tex]\omega[/tex][tex]^{2}_{o}[/tex] + 2[tex]\alpha[/tex][tex]\theta[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

This is the first time I have used the forums and I'm having a hard time putting in equations and things, so I apologize if the format is silly. I solved for theta in the above equation and my answers were 3.6509 (part a) rev and 14.153 (part b). I do not know if this is right, and if it is, I am not sure how to convert it into degrees so I can figure the position on the wheel.

Physics news on Phys.org
eiriyuki said:
This is the first time I have used the forums and I'm having a hard time putting in equations and things, so I apologize if the format is silly. I solved for theta in the above equation and my answers were 3.6509 (part a) rev and 14.153 (part b).

Why did you solve for θ? You don't have ω2. You need to find ω2.

Use the other equations of rotational motion.

Also, how does the tangential acceleration aT relate to the angular acceleration α?

How does the centripetal acceleration relate to ω2?

Wow, that is silly. I put my work for another problem I was having trouble with.

For this problem I used, total a=[tex]\sqrt{(rw^{2})^{2} + (r\alpha)^{2}}[/tex]

I worked out the problem and got 0.99m/s[tex]^{2}[/tex], which was incorrect.

What value did you use ω?

rock.freak667 said:
What value did you use ω?

1.48 rad/s

eiriyuki said:
1.48 rad/s

That's where you went wrong. You need to use the final angular velocity. It started out at 1.48 rad/s and then allowed to accelerate at 2.22 rad/s for 0.394s. How would you find the final angular velocity given the information?

rock.freak667 said:
That's where you went wrong. You need to use the final angular velocity. It started out at 1.48 rad/s and then allowed to accelerate at 2.22 rad/s for 0.394s. How would you find the final angular velocity given the information?

Would I use average angular acceleration?

w - w0 / t - t0

Which gives me 2.35 rad/s.

Now try it back in your equation.

I got the correct answer for both parts now! Thank you so much for you help! :)

Last edited:
Use the other equations of rotational motion.

Also, how does the tangential acceleration aT relate to the angular acceleration α?

How does the
ceiling fan relate to ω2?

Related to Ceiling Fan Blade Acceleration and Angle Calculation

What is the purpose of calculating ceiling fan blade acceleration and angle?

The purpose of calculating ceiling fan blade acceleration and angle is to understand the performance and efficiency of the fan. By measuring the acceleration and angle, scientists can determine the force and torque generated by the fan, which can help improve its design and functionality.

How is ceiling fan blade acceleration and angle calculated?

Ceiling fan blade acceleration and angle can be calculated using mathematical equations and measurements. The acceleration can be found by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time, while the angle can be determined by measuring the angle between the blade and the horizontal plane.

What factors affect the acceleration and angle of ceiling fan blades?

Several factors can affect the acceleration and angle of ceiling fan blades. These include the shape and size of the blades, the speed of the fan, the angle at which the blades are positioned, and the air resistance or drag on the blades.

Why is it important to calculate ceiling fan blade acceleration and angle?

Calculating ceiling fan blade acceleration and angle is important for several reasons. It helps in designing more efficient fans, understanding the forces and torque involved, and improving the overall performance of the fan. It also allows for better maintenance and troubleshooting of any issues that may arise.

Are there any safety concerns related to ceiling fan blade acceleration and angle?

Yes, there can be safety concerns related to ceiling fan blade acceleration and angle. If the fan blades are not properly balanced or the angle is incorrect, it can lead to excessive vibration, noise, and potential hazards. It is important to regularly check and maintain ceiling fans to ensure safe and efficient operation.