CE BJT Amplifier - Collector Resistance

In summary, the text discusses the derivation of the collector resistance of a single transistor CE amplifier, which is given as Ric = ro[1+gm(Re||r∏)] and is emphasized as important in a design note. However, in the summary tables at the end of the section and chapter, the equation is given as Ric = ro(1+gm*Re). This transition is not explicitly stated and can cause confusion for learners. Additionally, there are other approximation equations used, such as Rci ≈ ro * (re + Re)/re, which should be used with caution as Ric cannot exceed β*ro.
hisotaso
We are studying single transistor amplifiers, and in the text where the collector resistance of the CE amplifier, Ric, is derived, the final equation is

Ric = ro[1+gm(Re||r∏)] (approximation)

This equation is highlighted and emphasized as something we should remember, then shown again in a large blue box on the next page as a "Design Note" (large emphasis in this text).

However in the table at the end of the section that summarizes the CE/CS amplifier design summary, and the big table at the end of the chapter that lists the design summary for all of the BJT amplifiers, the equation is given as

Ric = ro(1+gm*Re)

I have been looking for hours and there is nowhere that I can find where this transition takes place. The text is Microelectronic Circuit Design, 4th edition by Jaeger and Blalock. I am at a loss.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Well they simply assume the Re<<r∏ so Re||r∏ ≈ Re

And sometime we use this version

Rci ≈ ro * (re + Re)/re

Where

re = 1/gm = 26mV/Ic

But Ric cannot be greater than Rci_max = β*ro for Common-base amplifier.

Thank you Jony130 for your reply. I apologizr for not being clearer, this is a common emitter amplifier (CE), I don't know if this makes a difference.

Also you have pointed out something that has been driving me crazy with this text, that is approximations are often made without explicitly stating so. This is frustrating when learning a new subject and not completely confident with the subject matter.

Simply you should always remember that if you use this equation
Ric = ro[1+gm(Re||r∏)]
If result is greater than β*ro your approximation equations tricks you. Because Ric can never exceed β*ro.

Last edited:

I understand your confusion and frustration with the discrepancy in the equations for the collector resistance of a CE BJT amplifier. It is important to note that in engineering and scientific texts, there can often be slight variations or approximations of equations depending on the context or application.

In this case, the equation Ric = ro[1+gm(Re||r∏)] is an approximation that takes into account the parallel combination of the emitter resistance (Re) and the Early voltage (ro). This approximation may be more suitable for certain design scenarios where the Early voltage plays a significant role in the overall amplifier performance.

On the other hand, the equation Ric = ro(1+gm*Re) is a simplified version that neglects the Early voltage and only considers the effect of the emitter resistance. This may be more suitable for simpler amplifier designs or when the Early voltage can be ignored.

It is also possible that the textbook may have made a mistake in presenting the two equations, or that the second equation is simply a typo. I would recommend double-checking with the author or consulting other reliable sources for clarification.

In any case, as a scientist, it is important to understand the underlying principles and assumptions behind equations rather than just memorizing them. So, I would suggest focusing on understanding the concept and derivation of the collector resistance equation rather than getting caught up in the differences between the two equations presented in the text.

Related to CE BJT Amplifier - Collector Resistance

What is a CE BJT amplifier?

A CE BJT amplifier is a type of electronic circuit that uses a bipolar junction transistor (BJT) in a common emitter (CE) configuration to amplify an input signal. It is commonly used in audio and radio frequency applications.

How does a CE BJT amplifier work?

In a CE BJT amplifier, the input signal is applied to the base of the transistor, while the output is taken from the collector. The transistor acts as an amplifier by controlling the amount of current flowing through the collector, which is determined by the resistance in the collector circuit.

What is the purpose of the collector resistance in a CE BJT amplifier?

The collector resistance is used to set the operating point, or quiescent point, of the transistor. This ensures that the amplifier operates in the linear region, where the output signal is an amplified version of the input signal. It also helps stabilize the amplifier against variations in temperature and transistor characteristics.

What happens if the collector resistance is too low?

If the collector resistance is too low, the transistor will operate in the saturation region, where the output signal will be distorted. This can lead to poor performance and potential damage to the transistor. It is important to choose an appropriate collector resistance to ensure proper operation of the amplifier.

How do I calculate the collector resistance for a CE BJT amplifier?

The collector resistance can be calculated using the formula RC = (VCC - VCEsat) / IC, where VCC is the supply voltage, VCEsat is the saturation voltage of the transistor, and IC is the desired collector current. It is also important to consider the transistor's datasheet for recommended values and to ensure that the power dissipation of the resistor is within its rating.