Causality and the Role of Propagator in Quantum Field Theory

In summary, a propagator is a function describing the movement of particles and anti-particles and is not directly related to causality. Causality is determined by commutators/anti-commutators, which must be imposed to ensure preservation of causality outside the light cone.
wam_mi
Hi All,

I am currently reading stuff about the propagator and causality in QFT at the moment and I don't really understand it. Could anyone explain this to me?

I understand that a propagator is a function which describes how particles and anti-particles travel from one place to another, but what is it to do with causality? Why is it important if the fields are space-like separated or time-like separated? What does it mean if the propagator does not give zero if it is outside the light-cone? How do we check if Causality is violated or not?

Thank you all!

Physics news on Phys.org
Causality is provided with the commutators/anticommutators, not with propagators.

A photon propagator is just a Coulomb field slighly modified with relativistic and quantum corrections.

Bob_for_short said:
Causality is provided with the commutators/anticommutators, not with propagators.

A photon propagator is just a Coulomb field slighly modified with relativistic and quantum corrections.

Hi Bob_for_short,

Thank you for your reply.
Can I just ask you a couple of things please?

So you're saying, the commutators/anti-commutators determine causality?

(i) Is it true to say that if the two events are space-like separated, then the commutator vanishes under Lorentz transformation and so causality is preserved in this case?

(ii) What happens if the commutator does not vanish, in the case of time-like separated events or in the case of measurement outside the light cone? Do we have causality preserved?

Thank you for your help!
Kind regards

1) Yes,

2) No.

Bob_for_short said:
1) Yes,

2) No.

If causality is not preserved outside the light-cone, what does that mean?
How can we make sure the commutators would vanish?

We impose the value of commutator in the way that it vanishes outside the light cone. We impose it by hand. It is our requirement. Thus we ourselves construct a causal theory.

Related to Causality and the Role of Propagator in Quantum Field Theory

1. What is a propagator in the context of science?

A propagator is a mathematical function used to describe the probability of a particle or field propagating from one point in space-time to another. It is commonly used in quantum field theory and is an essential tool for calculating the behavior of particles and fields at various points in space-time.

2. How does a propagator relate to causality?

A propagator is closely related to causality as it describes the probability of a particle or field propagating from one event to another. In quantum mechanics, causality is a fundamental principle that states that the cause of an event must occur before the effect. A propagator helps to calculate the probability of this causal relationship between events.

3. Can a propagator violate causality?

No, a propagator cannot violate causality. It is a mathematical tool used to calculate the probability of events occurring in a causal relationship. The propagator itself does not determine causality, but rather describes the probability of a causal relationship between events.

4. How is a propagator calculated?

A propagator is calculated using mathematical equations that take into account the properties of the particle or field being studied, as well as the interaction between particles and fields. The exact calculation of a propagator can vary depending on the specific system being studied and the mathematical approach being used.

5. What is the importance of understanding propagators and causality in science?

Understanding propagators and causality is crucial in many fields of science, particularly in quantum mechanics and quantum field theory. It allows scientists to make accurate predictions about the behavior of particles and fields, and it helps to ensure that the fundamental principles of causality are preserved in our understanding of the universe.