Physics Confusion: The Ball's Trajectory in an Upward Throw Explained

• Thread starter omgwtf
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Confusing
It will continue upward until gravity slows it to a stop and then it will fall back down again, past the roof, and continue downward until it hits the ground.
omgwtf
Say there's a ball being thrown upwards (from the bottom to the top of a building) with an initial speed of 29.4 m/s for 4 seconds at an acceleration of -9.8 m/s².

Now here's a few of my problems:

1.) My book says the ball would stop after 3 seconds. Wouldn't it therefore be pointless to calculate what would happen in 4 seconds?

2.) My book says the end speed (V1/Vf) would be -9.8 m/s. Doesn't the end speed always equal acceleration times time (V1 = at) which would therefore be -39.2 m/s?

Also, what's the difference between starting at rest (with the initial speed being zero) and being thrown (for example, in this case, 29.4 m/s), isn't gravity technically 'throwing' the object in question?

Thanks to anyone who can explain this, it's confusing me alot. I've only been working with physics (self-teaching) for about 4 days so excuse the newbieness of the question.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think the question is perfectly clear. What you've got though, is a ball thrown upwards at 29.4 m/s, and this is all you need to find that it reaches the top of it's flight, or stops at t = 3 seconds. So the question wants you to find what it's velocity is after 4 seconds - in other words when it has been coming down again for 1 second, which is fairly trivial.

I don't really understand what you're asking with your last question. Here, you are throwing the ball upwards so you have to give it an initial velocity or it won't go anywhere - gravity acts downwards on the ball to slow it down and eventually stop it. Can you clarify a bit if you want a further/better explanation?

I agree with mulder that ur question is not really clear, i am sure that if u make it a little clearer we would be able to help you.
But at the moment, i hope this equation till help you :
Vf=Vi+at

Thanks STAii, that pretty much cleared it up. I was using the wrong formula to calculate 'Vf'. As for my second question, I think I understand it now.

Thanks guys.

"1.) My book says the ball would stop after 3 seconds. Wouldn't it therefore be pointless to calculate what would happen in 4 seconds?"

The ball starts moving upward. Since the acceleration due to gravity is downward, the ball slows down and after 3 seconds comes to a stop. (the acceleration is -9.8 m/s^2. After 3 seconds, the total "change in speed" will be (3s)(-9.8m/s^2)= -29.4 m/s so that the original speed of +29.4 m/s has reduced to 29.4- 29.4= 0 m/s.

But the acceleration still there! The ball doesn't "hang in the air". It still has an acceleration (because gravity is still pulling on it) of -29.4 m/s^2 so after 1 MORE second, it is moving downward at -9.8 m/s. You could have calculated that without worrying about when the ball "stopped" by saying, "since the acceleration is -9.8 m/s, in 4 seconds the change in speed will be (4)(-9.8)= 39.2 m/s. Since the initial speed was 29.4 m/s, after 4 seconds, the speed will be 29.4- 39.2= -9.8 m/s."

"2.) My book says the end speed (V1/Vf) would be -9.8 m/s. Doesn't the end speed always equal acceleration times time (V1 = at) which would therefore be -39.2 m/s?"

Well, first, the end speed is "Vf", not "V1/Vf". I presume you mean V1 to be the initial speed. As long as acceleration is a constant, the CHANGE in speed is "acceleration times time": 4(-9.8)=
-39.2 m/s. However, the final speed will be "initial speed plus change in speed":in this case, 29.4- 39.2= -9.8m/s as we got above.

IF we just dropped the ball from the top of the building, the initial speed would be 0 ("dropped" not "threw up/down") and the speed after 4 seconds would be 0- 39.2= -39.2 m/s.

"Also, what's the difference between starting at rest (with the initial speed being zero) and being thrown (for example, in this case, 29.4 m/s), isn't gravity technically 'throwing' the object in question?"

No, gravity doesn't "throw" anything, it only "pulls"! The "acceleration due to gravity" gives you the change in speed. That has to be added to the initial speed to get the final speed.

If you stand on the roof of the building a DROP the ball (initial speed 0), after 4 seconds its speed will be 0- 39.2= -39.2m/s and the ball will be well below the roof (if it hasn't already hit the ground!).
If you throw the ball upward from the roof at an intitial speed of
29.4 m/s, the CHANGE in speed after 4 seconds will be exactly the same: -39.2 m/s so its speed have decreased from 29.4: 29.4- 39.2 m/s
= -9.8 m/s and the ball will still be well above the roof.

1. Why does the ball follow a curved path when thrown upwards?

According to Newton's first law of motion, an object in motion will continue to move in a straight line at a constant speed unless acted upon by an external force. In the case of a ball thrown upwards, the force of gravity acts upon it, causing it to accelerate downwards. This acceleration causes the ball's path to curve towards the ground.

2. How does the angle of the throw affect the ball's trajectory?

The angle of the throw determines the initial velocity and direction of the ball. The greater the angle of the throw, the higher the initial velocity in the upward direction, resulting in a higher maximum height and a longer flight time before the ball begins to descend. A lower angle of throw will result in a shorter flight time and a lower maximum height.

3. Why does the ball eventually fall back to the ground?

The force of gravity is constantly pulling the ball towards the ground, causing it to accelerate downwards. As the ball reaches its maximum height, its upward velocity decreases until it reaches a point where it is no longer strong enough to counteract the force of gravity. At this point, the ball begins to fall back to the ground.

4. What factors can affect the ball's trajectory in an upward throw?

Aside from the angle of the throw, the ball's mass, air resistance, and the force of gravity can all affect its trajectory. A heavier ball will experience greater gravitational force, causing it to fall back to the ground more quickly. Air resistance can also slow down the ball's ascent and descent, altering its trajectory.

5. Can the ball's trajectory be predicted accurately?

In theory, the ball's trajectory can be predicted accurately using mathematical equations and taking into account all the factors that may affect it. However, in practice, there are many variables that can make it difficult to predict the exact trajectory of a thrown ball, such as air resistance, wind, and imperfections in the ball's shape or weight.