Cauchy real and dedekind real are equivalent or isomorphic

In summary, The proof for the equality of Cauchy real and Dedekind real is that they are both isomorphic to the decimal numbers and that all complete ordered fields are isomorphic. This can be found in Chapter 1 and 2 of Pugh's Real Mathematical Analysis. Another approach is recognizing that each Dedekind cut determines an equivalence class of Cauchy sequences, and conversely, each equivalence class of Cauchy sequences either has a limit or determines a Dedekind cut.
sevenlite
Hiya, I am looking for the proof for cauchy real and dedekind real are equal (isomorphic). I know they are not equal (CR \= DR) but I need to prove them point to the same real number or mapping from CR -> DR, DR -> CR. I have looked at the textbooks on number system, real analysis and calculus. and i can't find any. what I know is that its a classic proof. Can anyone piont out any book contains this proof or some hints about how to prove it? Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Intuitively, how does a Cauchy sequence specify a real number? And how does a Dedekind cut specify a real number?

The bijection should be nearly obvious -- once you know what it is, you just have to go through the motions of writing it down, showing it really is well-defined, a bijection, et cetera. (it's a lot of motions, though)

Of course, you could just prove them both isomorphic to the decimal numbers. Or prove that all complete ordered fields are isomorphic, and both happen to be complete ordered fields. You don't have to compare them directly to each other.

Hurkyl said:
Intuitively, how does a Cauchy sequence specify a real number? And how does a Dedekind cut specify a real number?

The bijection should be nearly obvious -- once you know what it is, you just have to go through the motions of writing it down, showing it really is well-defined, a bijection, et cetera. (it's a lot of motions, though)

I know how to define to CR and DR , I've been told that both surjections Q -> R exist. would u show me just one how its bijection exists? i don't have much knowledge on this. thank you

Hurkyl said:
Of course, you could just prove them both isomorphic to the decimal numbers. Or prove that all complete ordered fields are isomorphic, and both happen to be complete ordered fields. You don't have to compare them directly to each other.

the same problem, lack of knowledage. would u point out some books that contain one is complete ordered filed? I can look at. thank you

Chapter 1 of Pugh's Real Mathematical Analysis constructs the real numbers from Dedekind cuts, and then proves that complete ordered fields are unique up to an isomorphism. Later on, in chapter 2, he constructs the real numbers from Cauchy sequences, and then because complete ordered fields are unique we get that the two constructions give essentially the same thing. So you might be interested in geting Pugh's book from the library.

qspeechc said:
Chapter 1 of Pugh's Real Mathematical Analysis constructs the real numbers from Dedekind cuts, and then proves that complete ordered fields are unique up to an isomorphism. Later on, in chapter 2, he constructs the real numbers from Cauchy sequences, and then because complete ordered fields are unique we get that the two constructions give essentially the same thing. So you might be interested in geting Pugh's book from the library.

Ive found this book, thank you!

sevenlite said:
Ive found this book, thank you!

This method of proof is not direct. Why not try a line of reasoning that recognizes that each Dedekind cut determines an equivalence class of Cauchy sequences.

Conversely, each equivalence class of Cauchy sequences either has a limit or determines a Dedekind cut.

I don't think a "direct" proof simplifies things any.

Related to Cauchy real and dedekind real are equivalent or isomorphic

1. What is the difference between Cauchy real and Dedekind real?

Cauchy real and Dedekind real are two different ways of defining real numbers in mathematics. Cauchy real numbers are defined based on the concept of sequences, while Dedekind real numbers are defined based on the concept of cuts. Both definitions aim to capture the same set of real numbers, but they differ in their approach.

2. Are Cauchy real and Dedekind real equivalent or isomorphic?

Yes, Cauchy real and Dedekind real are considered equivalent or isomorphic, as they both define the same set of real numbers and can be translated into each other. This means that any mathematical statement about one system of real numbers can be translated into the other system without changing its truth value.

3. What is the significance of Cauchy real and Dedekind real being equivalent or isomorphic?

The equivalence or isomorphism between Cauchy real and Dedekind real is significant because it allows for a more rigorous and comprehensive understanding of real numbers. It also allows for the application of results and theorems from one system to the other, making mathematical analysis more efficient and powerful.

4. Can you give an example of a Cauchy real number and its corresponding Dedekind real number?

One example of a Cauchy real number is the sequence 0.9, 0.99, 0.999, 0.9999, ... which represents the real number 1. On the other hand, the corresponding Dedekind real number would be the cut {(x in Q | x < 1) | (x in Q | x > 1)}. This cut divides the rational numbers into two sets, one containing all numbers less than 1 and the other containing all numbers greater than 1.

5. Are there any other systems of defining real numbers besides Cauchy real and Dedekind real?

Yes, there are other systems of defining real numbers, such as surreal numbers, hyperreal numbers, and constructive real numbers. Each system has its own unique approach and properties, but they all aim to define the same set of real numbers.