Have You Rediscovered the Iconic Johnny Castaway Screensaver?

• Thread starter Monique
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about an old screensaver that someone is happy to have found again after many years. The screensaver features a guy on an island doing various activities and has a storyline that lasts 10 days with occasional strange events. There are also special decorations for holidays. The speaker recommends downloading it and mentions a program that allows it to work under XP. They also mention other screensavers with a Matrix theme.
Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
This is a very old screensaver and I am very glad to have found it back, it has been soooooooooooooooooooo many years that I last seen it :)

Basically a guy stuck on an island, where he does all kinds of activities. Apparently there is a storyline that lasts 10 days and sometimes really unusual things happen. During special holidays he will have special decorations on his island (can't wait to see).

So everyone download it and enjoy :)

http://web.onetel.net.uk/~gnudawn/johnny/index.html

I have got it to work by under XP by downloading the little program from Gary Neilson (Method 1 on the above website).

Physics news on Phys.org
Actually, I found some pretty cool Matrix screensavers too, where the code comes falling down from the screen :) a little less distractive when trying to study :)

Thank you for sharing your excitement about the Johnny Castaway screensaver! It's amazing how technology can bring back nostalgic memories from our past. I remember seeing this screensaver on my family's computer many years ago and it was always so entertaining to watch Johnny's adventures on the island. I'm glad you were able to find it again and I'm sure many others will be happy to rediscover it as well. Thank you for providing the link and instructions on how to make it work on newer operating systems. I can't wait to see the special holiday decorations on Johnny's island! Thanks again for sharing this blast from the past.

1. What is the "Johnny Castaway Screensaver"?

The "Johnny Castaway Screensaver" is a popular screensaver program created by Sierra On-Line in 1992. It features an animated story of a shipwrecked man named Johnny Castaway and his attempts to escape from a deserted island.

2. Is the "Johnny Castaway Screensaver" still available?

No, the screensaver is no longer officially available for purchase or download. However, it can still be found on some third-party websites and through online auctions.

3. What operating systems is the "Johnny Castaway Screensaver" compatible with?

The original version of the screensaver was compatible with MS-DOS and Windows 3.1. There have been some unofficial versions created for newer operating systems, but they may not function properly.

4. Can I customize the "Johnny Castaway Screensaver"?

Yes, the screensaver has some customizable options such as the speed of the animation and the sound effects. However, the storyline and animation cannot be changed.

5. Is the "Johnny Castaway Screensaver" safe to download?

As with any download from third-party websites, it is important to exercise caution and use reputable sources. The original screensaver was not known to contain any harmful elements, but unofficial versions may pose a risk.