Why Does Removing the Negative Sign in the Charge Equation Affect the Result?

In summary, scientists often receive questions about explanations in science. These explanations refer to a lack of understanding or the need for further clarification or evidence. Scientists use various methods, such as experiments and models, to provide explanations for complex concepts. These explanations can change over time as new evidence is discovered. It is important for scientists to provide explanations for their research findings to advance scientific knowledge and allow for replication and validation. However, there may be limitations to scientific explanations, but these can be addressed as our understanding improves.
cseet
Hi all,

I'm stuck on this charge equation:

Q=Q * e (-t/RC)
= 780 * e (-9.8/3.3)
I've got 40.03
but the answer is 15200

if I took away the negative sign from the equation then I'll be able to get 15200. but that should not be the way isn't it? can somebody advise me how should I go about with this?

thanks
cseet

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd say your answer is correct; then the amount of net charge is depleted exponentially from an initial level Q_{0}=780.
It really depends on what your original equation is trying to model.

Hi cseet,

Thank you for reaching out for help with the charge equation. It looks like you are struggling with the negative sign in the exponent. Let me try to explain it in a simpler way.

The charge equation is used to calculate the amount of charge (Q) in a capacitor after a certain amount of time (t) has passed. The variables in the equation are Q, t, R, and C. The letter "e" represents the mathematical constant, Euler's number, which is approximately equal to 2.71828.

Now, looking at your calculations, you are correct in saying that Q=780 and t=9.8. However, the negative sign in the exponent is causing confusion. In mathematics, a negative exponent means that the number should be divided by itself a certain number of times. In this case, it means that e should be divided by itself 9.8/3.3 = 3 times.

So, the calculation should look like this:

Q=780 * e^(-9.8/3.3)
= 780 * (e/e/e) (since e/e/e = 1)
= 780 * (1/1/1) (since e = 1)
= 780 * 1 (since 1/1/1 = 1)
= 780

Therefore, the correct answer is 780, not 40.03 or 15200. I hope this helps clarify your confusion. Remember to always pay attention to the negative sign in exponents and follow the correct order of operations in your calculations. Keep practicing and you will get the hang of it. Good luck!

There are a few common questions that I often receive as a scientist when it comes to needing some explanation. Here are the top five most frequently asked questions and their answers:

1. What does it mean to "need some explanation" in science?

Needing some explanation in science refers to a situation where there is a lack of understanding or clarity about a particular concept, process, or phenomenon. It can also refer to a need for further clarification or evidence to support a scientific claim or theory.

2. How do scientists go about providing explanations for complex concepts?

Scientists use a variety of methods to provide explanations for complex concepts, such as conducting experiments, collecting data, analyzing results, and making observations. They also use scientific models and theories to help explain and understand complex phenomena.

3. Can scientific explanations change over time?

Yes, scientific explanations can change over time as new evidence and information becomes available. As scientists continue to conduct research and gather data, their understanding and explanations of certain concepts may evolve or change.

4. Why is it important for scientists to provide explanations for their research findings?

Providing explanations for research findings is important because it allows for a better understanding of the natural world and helps to advance scientific knowledge. It also allows for the replication and validation of results by other scientists, which is a crucial aspect of the scientific method.

5. Are there any limitations to scientific explanations?

While scientific explanations are based on evidence and logical reasoning, they are not absolute truths. There may be limitations to our current understanding or the available evidence, which can lead to incomplete or incorrect explanations. However, as new information and research emerges, these limitations can be addressed and our understanding can continue to improve.