Catenary and coiled rope - for dummies.

In summary, the longer the rope and its catenary shape, the stronger it will become. This is because the rope is supported by the water and the catenary curve distributes stress more effectively than other shapes. Additionally, if there is a dock fixed in place, the tide will pull the boat out of the mooring. However, coiling the rope around a pole will create more friction, which will allow a small man to hold a large load.
secocarmona
situation: boat moored at the dock

fact (so to say) 1 - why the longer the rope and his catenary shape the stronger it will become? assuming it is true.

fact 2 - why a man can keep a heavy boat stopped with just a coiled rope in the mooring?

ps..if there's a better place to put the thread please advise...

Attachments

• cargo-ship.jpg
    cargo-ship.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 479
Engineering news on Phys.org
is it just me? i don't understand the phrasing no matter how many times i re-read it.

a boat can be moored w/ a rope because the boat is supported by the water.. the rope and anchor system is a positional fixer, working against the current and wind. i think, is that what you're asking?

moored boats are ones at anchor, as seen in a bay, w/ those bouys. At a dock, the boat is slipped, or "tied up".

Sometimes, care must be taken because if the dock is fixed and doesn't rise/fall with the tide, the tide will go out and the boat is going to be suspended in the air. Well, it ususally just tears the cleats out from the dock and smashes about on stuff.

i boat a lot, and so I replied, hopefully you can clarify what you're asking, i'd like to help if possible.

i wil try to refrase it later.

But my main concern is about the geometry of the rope which will result in exploring is strength.

1- catenary

2- the way the rope is coiled aloes a single man hold a heavy boat.

I hope this clarifies

Well, I'm not sure i understand what you're asking about, but that's ok, just try to rephrase it later on..

I can tell you in general, that caternary curves, aka cat curves, are employed in sails and tents because they distribute stress more effectively than other shapes. Search the website backpackinglight.com for info catenary curves and you'll find more than you'd ever want to know about them. Those people use them all the time for making tarp-tents and have great tutorials for some Do-it-yourself action.

Rope design, is a fairly complicated field. I'd check out "rope safety mountain climbing" or similar google search.. this doesn't have much to do w/ cat curves tho, .. unless I'm missing something. At a dock, the ropes are slack and appear catenary if gravity is the dominant force on them. When they're taught, it's because wind/current/motor is acting upon them.

Coiling rope, like coiling an electrical cord, has a technique to it to 1) not damage the rope components and 2)no tangles on deployment. I do not see how a coiled rope allows a single man to hold a heavy boat. What specifically does coiling it have to do with it?

ok! thanks a lot for your help!

i will do better than refrase it, i will draw something to express what i talking about.

i wil now check the link you kindly propose.

nathanlee52 said:
I do not see how a coiled rope allows a single man to hold a heavy boat. What specifically does coiling it have to do with it?

Coiling a rope around something, such as a pole, creates more friction area, allowing a small man to to hold a large load. Each time around adds a mechanical advantage, kind of like going threw a bunch of pullies. If that is the type of coiling being discussed?

Jasongreat said:
Coiling a rope around something, such as a pole, creates more friction area, allowing a small man to to hold a large load. Each time around adds a mechanical advantage, kind of like going threw a bunch of pullies. If that is the type of coiling being discussed?

That makes sense! and yes it is the type of coiling being discussed.

But let me ask ...
The catenary curve described by the rope will "strengthen the system"?
Or bigger the distance between boat and pole stronger is the effect?
Can we take maximise ropes strength with larger distance?

Anyway Jason, thank you for your reply!

Related to Catenary and coiled rope - for dummies.

What is a catenary?

A catenary is a curve that is formed by a uniform flexible object, such as a rope or chain, when it is suspended at two points and affected only by its own weight.

What is the difference between a catenary and a coiled rope?

A catenary is a specific type of curve that is formed by a suspended rope. A coiled rope, on the other hand, refers to a rope that has been wound or twisted into a spiral shape. They are two different physical configurations of a rope.

How is a catenary useful in real life?

Catenaries have many practical applications, such as in architecture and engineering, where they can be used to calculate the shape of arches or suspension bridges. They are also used in physics to model the shape of hanging cables or wires.

What is the equation for a catenary?

The equation for a catenary is y = a*cosh(x/a), where a is a constant and cosh is the hyperbolic cosine function. This equation describes the shape of the catenary curve and can be used to calculate various properties of the curve.

How does the weight of a rope affect its catenary shape?

The weight of a rope affects its catenary shape by causing it to sag more. The heavier the rope, the greater the sag. This is because the weight of the rope creates a downward force that pulls the rope towards the center, resulting in a deeper curve.